Advice on 1960's copper DWV replacement (basement reno)

Users who are viewing this thread

djfremen

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I'm taking on a project to add a new basement unit in my sisters house (Edmonds, WA) and want to pass inspection.

The home has the old copper waste lines and vents. They are paper thin and already leaking from the soil stack.

The plan is to add WC, Lav, shower, Washer combo and Island sink. The original bathroom has a washer, WC and lav. Upstairs has a full bath. Basically want to make this a mother in law apartment in the basement.

Here's the layout:

48001-b5daea5d449f247a8dbb2f53a450ead7.jpg

When I removed the wall and concrete in proposed new bathroom, its all 1960's copper and super shallow.

48000-a34467d2b800a042d2fdbdd2a13ac273.jpg

It also has a heel coming from the 3 in. 90. I'm guessing this drains the lav on the other side of the wall but it was probably originally a clothes washer drain. That first Wye is draining the toilet on the opposing wall. The copper looks in bad shape.

48002-46bd2d0145ee22ae0922a18c267c41a6.jpg

On the other side of the foundation (exit house) the copper is going to a fernco 4 in. cement pipe to 3 in. but its left is plastic capped (left of image).

48003-90665c7a0dcc8ea4e1d5cf8fb67873d9.jpg

So here's are two plans. One is a lot of replumb work (old toilet flange, washer) and one is just adding a line for the new fixtures.

Both plans involve moving 4 in ABS inside the house and moving cleanout outside.

1. Remove Cement Wye and cut hub on sewer line
2. Attach new "metal shielded" mission style 4 in cement pipe x 4 in ABS
3. While still outside add 4 in. ABS DWV Hub x Hub x Hub Cleanout Tee
4. Install 4 in Wye (split to wet vent WC from shower, lav - add 2" drop for kitchen island and Studer vent)
5. Reduce 4 in to 3 in with Fernco to Copper to reconnect line

OR

1-4 is the same
4. Reduce 4 in 3 in
5. 3 in. x 3 in. x 2 in. ABS 90-Degree Hub x Hub x Hub Elbow with Low-Heel (low heel 2" to supply lavs, washers)
6. 3 in. ABS DWV Double Fixture Sanitary Tee (one to each WC)
7. Replace copper venting, dwv lines for lav, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Attachments

• bathroom_2.jpg
    bathroom_2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 196
  • design.png
    design.png
    81 KB · Views: 203
  • close-up.jpg
    close-up.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 195
  • cement_to_copper.jpg
    cement_to_copper.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 209
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks