HELP: Replacing Balancing Spool Kit

Users who are viewing this thread

munkyboi

Reaction score
hi all,

i need to replace the balancing spool kit on my American Standard 1363 series shower faucet. when i loosened the old one from the faucet, the front brass cap seemed to have come off from the remainder of the kit, so now the "barrel" and the "piston" are still sitting inside the chamber of the faucet. i see quite a bit of gunk and they seem to be rusted a bit too.

i tried to use 2 needle nose pliers to pull them out with no avail. any advice on how to remove them from the chamber, so i can put the new spool kit in?

i've attached a picture of the old parts still stuck in the chamber, and 2 pictures of the new kit.

thanks alot in advance,
munkyboi

Attachments

• stuckSpool_sml.jpg
    stuckSpool_sml.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 864
  • newSpool1_sml.jpg
    newSpool1_sml.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 842
  • newSpool2_sml.jpg
    newSpool2_sml.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 839

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would just try to wiggle it and see if you can get it to turn. Once you get it to move a bit it should come out. the hard crust will break free. I would make sure you remove any stuff that get left over also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks