broken main pvc pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

weeblewobbler

Reaction score
hi. i am new here and also to plumbing....i am trying to tile my bathroom-haven't started yet though....the problem at this time is my toilet flange. when i took the toilet up, it was broken....when i tried to get this up, i found it to be glued to the main pvc pipe and no screws were added. in breaking this out, i have broken off about 2 inches x2 in. (a v shape) out of the main pipe.....my question is: what do i need to fix this? my existing floor is vinyl and i am currently trying to get this up as well, but found some black almost like small roots when i took the vinyl up around the toilet....is this normal? any help would be greatly appreciated....currently i just put the broken piece with flange on back in place and put a plug in sewer hole....

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is not an easy first plumbing repair. I believe you'll need an internal pipe cutter to cut out the PVC pipe past the point where it is broken. Then you'll need to glue an extension piece with a new flange attached. The flange needs to be level with whatever new floor you are putting in. As far as the black roots, Why don't you post a photo. You may have had a toilet leak, and this is some nasty black mold. Wear a dust mask and gloves when handling it.

weeblewobbler

Reaction score
thanks! i would bet on the mold since this toilet was leaking for a while before i took it up....before we bought this house, the previous renters looked like they had let all the bathroom tubs run over and there is a blue discoloration under the vinyl flooring in 2 bathrooms. is the tool very expensive to repair this? i couldn't just put a sleeve in to cover the broken area? wish i had spoken to you before i picked up that mold....:( i should probably keep a face mask on during all my work.....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One version of an internal pipe cutter looks sort of like a small circular saw blade - you use it on a drill (carefully!). Not much money. Is this on a slab, or a wood framed floor? Can you open the ceiling under it?

weeblewobbler

Reaction score
this is a slab. i am toying with letting a professional do this job just to make sure it is done right, but i haven't decided yet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks