Yard pump wiring (see pic) installer didn't realize what was needed?...

Users who are viewing this thread

MMMillie

Reaction score
Hello all.
I have a yard well with a 3/4hp pump that has been used for years with just a simple on/off switch.
Changing to inground sprinkler system with controller. (Yeah!!!, no more hoses!).

Handyman type friend came over to change the wiring so the wall-mounted controller would have power from the existing line for the pump while keeping the pump's on/off switch...what I expected to see was perhaps a junction box with the incoming old power wire, then to the switch, and on to the line running down the conduit to the controller.

Here's what I found this morning - he just added the wiring going to the controller (down that conduit over to the side of the house) out through the on/off switch. So, now I've got a switch controlling the power to the sprinkler controller, but no power to the pump!

for-TLF.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider removing that cover temporarily, and show us a picture of the terminals.

Also, what output does your controller have? Is it made to switch 120 volts, or does it provide 24volts AC out. If 24volts, you would need a relay to control the pump.

MMMillie

Reaction score
The controller is a RainBird ESP-TM2, so 24v only. The man installing the sprinkler system is adamant about NOT using a pump relay, "keeping as simple as possible, one less thing to go wrong".

(I intend to use the system only on by manual selection in daylight only - I want eyes on what's happening)

His solution will be to use the one power source, but change to two separate switches in one box, one for the pump, one for the controller..."power up the pump, turn on the controller". Are you OK with that, Reach4? This would give me the ability to use the pump on its own with a faucet & hose when needed.

PS: I have a soaker hose running in a hedge line that I will leave open when I start the pump, then turn off as sprinklers engage so the pump does not run against itself and overheat.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks