Wye Options

Users who are viewing this thread

Rowers

Reaction score
I'm putting in a second floor bathroom in. The toilet is going to be run down one bay with a 3" line and the sink and tub will run down a second bay exiting with a 2" line. All fixtures will be vented locally due to distance. Once I come down to the first floor I'm planning to use a vertical wye to combine the two lines. Is their a preferred way to do this (2" in top vs 3")? Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• wye.pdf
    693.8 KB · Views: 110

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For drainage turning from horizontal to vertical, you don't need to use a LT90 (two 45s), you can use a regular quarter bend.

Either photo works, although I note the second layout eliminates a 90 degree bend, as you are 45'ing directly from the horizontal to the wye branch. So a layout which lets that happen seems preferable.

There are also double quarter bends, but I hear they are disfavored due to difficulty snaking. You could also consider a double wye and plugging the straight inlet.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Simpler is better. I would go with the second photo with the 2" on the top of the wye and the 3" on the branch side. Less fittings, less degrees of bend.

And as Wayne pointed out, medium ells are acceptable to transition from Horz to Vert.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if that wye is vertical , then I put a 3x3x2 wye vertical and run up with 1/4 bend on top of 3 inch the 2 inch branch would have a 45 on it and extend to joist bay and receive a 2 inch 1/4 bend. unless there is some other situation structurally this is standard way takes a total of 4 fittings one 45 being 2 inch the wye and 2 90s clean and I think cheap. double wyes or 90s I see no advantage on a standard install. I don't think I've ever used a double quarter and rarely use double wyes, gunny sacks of fittings with none of those but once in a while you need those oddball fittings

Reach4

Reaction score
The toilet is going to be run down one bay with a 3" line and the sink and tub will run down a second bay exiting with a 2" line. All fixtures will be vented locally due to distance.
UPC. So I am not sure of the distance needed for the shower venting, but there is a chance that the shower could be wet vented by the lavatory. Running the lavatory drain line closer to the shower might let you wet vent.

Similarly I think if the path from the toilet to the wye is under 5 ft, then you would not need a separate toilet vent. Won't hurt to have more venting than required.

So if things are still open to change, you might want to post a sketch showing the rough plan location of the 3 bathroom things and a rough idea of scale.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just guessing on the job don't know if this is all exposed plumbing in perhaps a basement or you are limited to stud and joist bays that would play a factor .

Rowers

Reaction score
UPC. So I am not sure of the distance needed for the shower venting, but there is a chance that the shower could be wet vented by the lavatory. Running the lavatory drain line closer to the shower might let you wet vent.

Similarly I think if the path from the toilet to the wye is under 5 ft, then you would not need a separate toilet vent. Won't hurt to have more venting than required.

So if things are still open to change, you might want to post a sketch showing the rough plan location of the 3 bathroom things and a rough idea of scale.
Thanks you all for the quick feedback! This forum is great. It has been my go to place for information as I planned this bathroom.

I think I'm too far from the sink ( about 8') to wet vent. But open to other thoughts. Here is the room layout and rough plumbing layout that I started with and working on finalizing it now

layout_.png
plumbing_.png

layout_.pngplumbing_.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks great drawing a bit funcy on the lav vent connection probably a bad drawing but other wise looks perfect the vent on the tub shower might be eliminated if within 5 foot of the lav branch but if easy to vent as shown a great plan!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks