Working on well. Need one more bit of advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry Coen

Reaction score
Thanks to all for help and support on my well questions - I need one more bit of advice.

As stated in an earlier post, I have a 2” well casing with a 2-pipe jet pump adapter that was buried about 5’ deep and 10’ away from the house. The well is about 30’ deep. I want to replace the old galvanized down pipe along with the pipes feeding the pump in the house. The old drop line is out and as a result of some great advice from this forum I have decided to go with the 1" schedule 80 pipe and special adapters; this seems like it will be the easiest to work with in the cold weather.

My problem (or question) is that I intend to place the new drop line set-up into the well and run the new lines into the house this week-end but won't be in a position to Prime and test the system for a week or so because I am also in the middle of insulation and furnace work inside the house. I will not have that all complete for at least a week or so, so freezing water, pipes, pump, etcetera, would be a problem. Unfortunately, I need to need to get the hole back-filled and return the expensive back-hoe this week-end. Sooooo - with all that said, is there a potential problem with the leathers not swelling up and sealing properly since it will be a while before I actually prime the system? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you all again for your great advice - much appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
Sooooo - with all that said, is there a potential problem with the leathers not swelling up and sealing properly since it will be a while before I actually prime the system? Any thoughts or suggestions?
The leathers will be under water, right? Priming introduces water above the water line.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb I never rig down until we have water pumping. It's bad luck.

Use this well head:
AWJ2.jpg

Prime it all up before burying. Make sure the jet assembly is tight and there is no trash in the jet nozzles or on the drop pipe. Put a little chlorine in the well before putting the jet line in. Put a good smathering of grease on the well head before you bury it. It will be a rusted hulk next time you dig it up but maybe the grease will help you get the bolts out. Put unions just after the well head. Big pipe to pump suction, little pipe to the "drive" pipe.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score

Use this well head:
AWJ2.jpg

Prime it all up before burying. Make sure the jet assembly is tight and there is no trash in the jet nozzles or on the drop pipe. Put a little chlorine in the well before putting the jet line in. Put a good smathering of grease on the well head before you bury it. It will be a rusted hulk next time you dig it up but maybe the grease will help you get the bolts out. Put unions just after the well head. Big pipe to pump suction, little pipe to the "drive" pipe.

Yep, I never move the truck until I'm satisfied the pump runs and pumps as it should.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

Yep, I never move the truck until I'm satisfied the pump runs and pumps as it should.

Now that is funny! I thought I was the only one superstitious about rigging down before making sure it works. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks