Question about Pressure Tank Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Z

Reaction score

I am on a well and have noticed lately that the pressure in the line varies quite a bit. I went to the pump house and noticed that the pressure is fluctuating back and forth between 40 and 70 psi. There is also a constant clicking noise coming from the relay switch. From what I have gathered, this is a sure sign that the pressure tank needs replacing. (It is many, many years old.)

From what I understand, this is not good for the pump due to the constant stopping and starting. My question is how time critical is it to replace the pressure tank. Will this situation cause the pump to wear out in a matter of weeks or could it be put off for a few months. It is an outdoor pump house and it is winter where I live, so not the best of conditions to do this kind of work. However, if time is critical, I will certainly do it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You

Matt Z

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

I am on a well and have noticed lately that the pressure in the line varies quite a bit. I went to the pump house and noticed that the pressure is fluctuating back and forth between 40 and 70 psi. There is also a constant clicking noise coming from the relay switch. From what I have gathered, this is a sure sign that the pressure tank needs replacing. (It is many, many years old.)

From what I understand, this is not good for the pump due to the constant stopping and starting. My question is how time critical is it to replace the pressure tank. Will this situation cause the pump to wear out in a matter of weeks or could it be put off for a few months. It is an outdoor pump house and it is winter where I live, so not the best of conditions to do this kind of work. However, if time is critical, I will certainly do it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You

Matt Z
Every minute counts. Cycling like that it might not last until morning. Here is what you need to replace that tank, which will stop the cycling problem and give you much stronger pressure in the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks