Winterizable toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

AuntCarolyn

Reaction score
We want to install a new toilet at the cottage, but since it is only a 3 season cottage, we need to be able to drain the plumbing for the winter. We are partial to Toto toilets. Is any model more easily and effectively drained than any other?

Thanks in advance, AC

PS: I just discovered your website, Terry, and I'm enthralled by all this toilet talk. Who knew? :p

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
All toilets operate on the same principal, so work better than others, but the basics are the same. To winterize a toilet you first shut the water supply off. Now flush the toilet completely empty the tank. You will still have water in the toilet. At this point, there are a couple of approaches you can use. You can use a wet/dry shop vacuum or you can plunge as much water out as possible, but this will not completely empty the trap. Now pour a gallon of RV antifreeze into the bowl. Note: RV antifreeze is NOT automobile antifreeze. This will remain in the trap and block sewer gas and vermin from getting in as well as preventing freezing. Other traps in the house can be treated the same way. After draining the pipes, open all faucets.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I looked at this and then a funny thought came into my head.

With most toilets, you flush the toilet, sponge out the tank and bowl, maybe add some type of antifreeze.

Toto also makes some modesl with the Unifit adapter that would allow you to loosen two nuts and lift the bowl up.
The wax stays in place with the adapter, and when you return in the Spring, drop the bowl down, snug up the nuts and you're good to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks