Window installation with nailing fin

Users who are viewing this thread

dankoos

Reaction score
I have never installed a window before and I am confused on the need for drip cap on the particular model of window I purchased. The window has a nailing fin and integrated J channel and brickmould. The instructions say to use dripcap, UNLESS it has the brickmould. Every video I watch on window installation says to use drip cap. However, since the top (and all sides/bottom) of the window has this "channel", if drip cap were installed, it would leave quite the gap underneath and I don't see how water would get IN the window or BEHIND the window once it is in this channel. I am thinking the siding just flows into the "channel" and then water just makes its way along that channel and then down the sides.

Do I need drip cap for this type of window?

I of course will flash the rough opening appropriately.

Here is a link to the window:

https://www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/produ...00/double-hung

It HAS the integral brickmould

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a drip cap to deflect away water coming down on top of the window plus flashing and sealant over the top of the cap, to seal.

introzz2010wt

Reaction score
You need a drip cap to deflect away water coming down on top of the window plus flashing and sealant over the top of the cap, to seal.

You're right on that one, especially when talking about drip cap. The first time I've been installing our new window, I didn't think through about it, and then I've spent much more time and money to add it. And before that - I've always been using window glass replacement Bartlett firm and even it was making pretty good job, I've realized that it's time to start something on my own.

Last edited:

dankoos

Reaction score
You're right on that one, especially when talking about drip cap. The first time I've been installing our new window, I didn't think through about it, and then I've spent much more time and money to add it.
I contacted the manufacturer and they told me drip cap was not necessary with the integrated j channel, there is nothing for the drip cap to protect, the cannel is there to funnel water to the sides

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks