Will RhinoTools PD55 Drive a saind point well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by jhartsock, Sep 10, 2007.

1. jhartsock

jhartsock New Member

Software Engineer
    Hello,
    I have been searching and found a RhinoTools PD55 (Post Driver) at a local tool rental. I guess this is meant to drive post but would it work for a sandpoint well. Has anyone ever used one.

2. speedbump

speedbump Active Member

Water well and pump tech.
    Here is a quote from their website on their drivers:
    I would say no; for driving a well point. Besides not being able to go deep, the vibration would probably loosen your joints much easier than a hammer would that would be hitting the pipe less than 50 times per minute as oppossed to 60 times per second.

bob...

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jhartsock

jhartsock New Member

Software Engineer
    I traied making a hammer with my post driver. I basically ued a 6" schedule PVC pipe that was 48 inches long and centered the post drive in the pvc pipe. Then filled around with 80lbs of concrete. This gave me a weight of about 100 pounds. A friend and I began to use this and we did not have much luck. Bascially every 10-20 hits gave us about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of depth. and as I expected when I made this cheap device. The PVC cracked after about 4 hours of pounding. I am down about 19.5' but at this rate I will never get this done. I need suggestions any suggestions? You mentioned that the vibration from the Phenumatic post driver might loosen the pipe threads. but As long as I keep turning the pipe shouldnt they stay tight?

5. speedbump

speedbump Active Member

Water well and pump tech.
    The more you abuse them, the more air leak possibilities you have. Remember the pipe is your suction line on a small well.

This is the hammer I built a year ago to use at my Son-In-Law's in Oklahoma. It weighs around 50 - 55 lbs. You will notice I spent a lot of time engineering this sketch.

bob...

Attached Files:

6. atfdmike

atfdmike New Member

automotive
    hi, I made my own driver to drive up to a 2" well by taking a 36" length of steel hollow heavy wall pipe with 1/2" wall, welding a 6" round plug in the end with an eye bolt at the top, and a solid 1" T-bar that I add weight to for driving purposes. My results were similar for yours in driving through clay but in sand and gravel much better. If you are driving in sand then maybe you could "wash" or "jet" the pipe into the earth? I am not a pro, quite cheap and wanted to spend the least I could in putting down a well to water my lawn. I used a tall A frame I borrowed with block and tackle to hammer it in. Lot of work with minimal results, considering 1 1/4" galvanized pipe with 2' point does not produce much water! I am too tired now to drive another but will eventually (did I mention I procrastinate a lot too?)
    I think Speedbump stole my design though!! LOL

7. Rancher

Rancher Guest

My "T" post pounder, pneumatic, strikes about once a second. Rohrer MFG

www.rohrermfg.com

Rancher