Will 4' PVC used as downspout discharge freeze?

Users who are viewing this thread

CarlPorter

Reaction score
I am planning to bury my downspouts and push them to the front of the property using 4' PVC. However, I live in Michigan and the one thing I'm worried about is the pipe freezing and breaking.

I'm thinking that, if I'm pitching everything correctly and I have a drain hole on the low side (where the pop up emitter will go), then I should be fine as the water should have a place to escape.

Am I missing anything? This won't be below the frost line as I don't have enough pitch to go that deep, but was curious what others thought.

I know the corrugated pipe is used often for this very reason (it expands/contracts) but I know it also clogs up and once that happens you can't clean it out.

Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
I know water will freeze, but mine don't seem to have been damaged. Water is bound to settle below a vertical popup and then freeze. My pop-ups are not glued in.

If your pipes can get leaves etc in them, consider a provision to let you blow a leaf blower into one end.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"I am planning to bury my downspouts and push them to the front of the property using "

Check with your local building code and your insurance company

Some areas frown upon allowing storm water to go into the the street and if your storm water freezes and someone slips or it causes a car to slide and crash you may be held accountable

Some areas also do not allow your storm to flow on other peoples property

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks