Why Have Steel Bathtubs Disappeared (Why The Love For Plastic Tubs?)

Users who are viewing this thread

NDL

Reaction score
I am not a person employed in the trades, and I thoroughly enjoy everyone's participation on this forum, as I get a chance to learn from the best.

My familiarity with tubs made of alternative materials consists of stuff that builders use: commercially available, lower grade, items.

That said, I don't like plastic tubs, and I do not understand their popularity. From a builders perspective, it's easy to understand: a fiberglass tub/shower surround goes in quicker than a traditional tub and tile job. But in remodels wherein homeowners tile around the tub, I don't understand their use.

A plastic/fiberglass tub, in my experience, becomes pliable when it's subjected to very hot water, thus having the potential to create hairline cracks. And yes, while surface dirt can be washed away easily, ground in stains take quite a bit of effort.

So why have steel tubs gone the way of the dodo bird, in bathroom remodels? Aside from Kohler, does any other manufacturer make a cast iron tub? What about a good steel tub? Any suggestions of manufacturers/models?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Kohler makes a really good cast iron tub. I may be too old to install the cast now. 300 pounds is a bit tough to bring up stairs now.

American Standard makes their Americast line, which is a steel tub with plastic or something backing to it. And then there are steel tubs with other branding like Bootz.

Reactions: NDL

NDL

Reaction score
Kohler makes a really good cast iron tub. I may be too old to install the cast now. 300 pounds is a bit tough to bring up stairs now.

American Standard makes their Americast line, which is a steel tub with plastic or something backing to it. And then there are steel tubs with other branding like Bootz.

Thank you Terry, for your reply. I agree about Kohler's tubs; we had one, and I know of homeowners that still have them. They look and function great!

Would you say that my criticisms of plastic tubs is unwarranted? I do not understand their popularity.

And Bootz...I read different things about their quality control. Is their tub a quality, long lasting, product?

NDL

Reaction score
I appreciate your replies...so when remodeling a bathroom, cast iron is mandatory then?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A good non-cast iron tub install generally requires adding some mortar or something similar underneath the tub to help account for leveling it and providing much more support so that it can't deflect. This makes it feel much more solid and eliminates nearly all of the propensity to generate stress cracking and crazing. If you fail to do that, then yes, the things won't last as long or look as good. It's a step often eliminated during the installation process, even though most companies call for it. At the temperatures a human would take a bath, the water is not hot enough to significantly change the pliability of an acrylic or fiberglass tub over ambient room temperature. It's not like you're pouring boiling water into the thing.

If you care for the surface properly, it can look as good as new for decades. That includes no abrasive cleaners, and avoiding tracking sand and grit into it (which can affect a CI tub, too).

Reactions: NDL

NDL

Reaction score
A good non-cast iron tub install generally requires adding some mortar or something similar underneath the tub to help account for leveling it and providing much more support so that it can't deflect. This makes it feel much more solid and eliminates nearly all of the propensity to generate stress cracking and crazing. If you fail to do that, then yes, the things won't last as long or look as good. It's a step often eliminated during the installation process, even though most companies call for it. At the temperatures a human would take a bath, the water is not hot enough to significantly change the pliability of an acrylic or fiberglass tub over ambient room temperature. It's not like you're pouring boiling water into the thing.

If you care for the surface properly, it can look as good as new for decades. That includes no abrasive cleaners, and avoiding tracking sand and grit into it (which can affect a CI tub, too).

Many thanks for your helpful reply!