Whole House Generator behind workshop subpanel - oops??

Users who are viewing this thread

WallyBell

Reaction score
Layout.JPG
Layout.JPG

WallyBell

Reaction score
As I was building a new work shop I mentioned to the electrician I would be adding a whole house generator in the future. (Florida) He said just put it behind the workshop and back feed the house.
Great I thought.
So I poured a slab and bought a Generac 20kw Guardian generator which came with the Auto Transfer Switch.
Now looking at manuals and I do not think this will work.
The gen needs to feed to 1 side of the ATS and the utility to the other side. House and shed feed off the switched power.

If the gen is on the switched power and not to the "Gen" terminals on the ATS...how does it know to fire?

Generac Guardian G0070390
Transfer Switch 11659

Stuff

Reaction score
Looks like you will be running 150' of cable from the generator to the ATS.

WallyBell

Reaction score
That is the only solution I can come up with as well.
I should know better.
Between crew building shop and hurricane rebuild crews on fence, trees and house...electrician said ok and I moved on without thinking.
2/0 service is run in 2-1/2" PVC conduit (125 ft w/ 2 large sweeps).
Probably dang near impossible to pull another set of 2/0 in the existing conduit. Opinion?
It's going to be a royal bear to trench in more conduit.

I was hoping there was some sort of relay or signal switch that I could pull signal wires in existing conduit so that when Genset comes on it could signal a transfer switch.

Stuff

Reaction score
First you need to find a real electrician.

Your 20KW generator has a 100 amp breaker. You should be able to fit 3awg copper in the conduit.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That would be easy to do with two DPDT 220v contactors and you would only need to run thin wire (14 gauge or less) but the contactors will have to be in there own enclosures and be activated 24/7.
I could not find the manual for this generac to see if there is any external source for a signal. Do you know other than the power connection from the generator to the transfer switch if there are any other wires. In other words how does the generac know when power is lost?

WallyBell

Reaction score
Thanks Gents and sorry for the late reply.
My Tundra lost a timing belt on the way to my youngest daughters bridal shower...and yes it is an interference engine so bent valve rods.
O boy

We pulled direct burial triplex alum wire in the conduit 2/0, 2/0,#1
So pulling copper back thru is probably a good option

There is a bundle of 6 wires (16AWG) that run between the Generator Control and the Transfer Switch Control

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
......youngest daughters bridal shower......There is a bundle of 6 wires (16AWG) that run between the Generator Control and the Transfer Switch Control

Better than on the way to the wedding...:eek:

That bundle of wire is the control signals. If you can extend that cable then you will not need to move the generator. However, unknown is if the signal voltage has too much of a drop in voltage between the two you may run into issues. Are they 24v ac, 5v DC or other voltages? Perhaps a call to Kohler is needed. Any changes may void the Kohler warranty. The electrical code is low voltage cables and wires cannot be run in the same conduit as electrical power. You may be in the same situation.

At one time www.Gates.com had a chart of vehicles with and without interference engines. They don't seem to have it anymore. It used to be good place to search when looking to buy a used vehicle.

Last edited:

WallyBell

Reaction score
Better than on the way to the wedding...:eek:

That bundle of wire is the control signals. If you can extend that cable then you will not need to move the generator. However, unknown is if the signal voltage has too much of a drop in voltage between the two you may run into issues. Are they 24v ac, 5v DC or other voltages? Perhaps a call to Kohler is needed. Any changes may void the Kohler warranty. The electrical code is low voltage cables and wires cannot be run in the same conduit as electrical power. You may be in the same situation.

At one time www.Gates.com had a chart of vehicles with and without interference engines. They don't seem to have it anymore. It used to be good place to search when looking to buy a used vehicle.

WallyBell

Reaction score
Well, now its a moot point. City says I can't put the propane tank behind the work shop.
So the generator will now be moved up to the side of the house at the service entry and propane tank gets buried there as well
...and the slab poured for the generator will now get built out for air compressor.

Thank you for helping.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
What city/county in Florida? I seem to read a lot of restrictions on propane tanks both HOA's and ordinances lately. I think a lot to do with the increase of stationary generators and propane fireplaces. I like to put in a propane fireplace but our POA/HOA does have a restriction that it cannot be buried. One neighbor does have a 100# tank above ground.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Usually there are limits of structures and alike to the property lines. When I had a pool installed inPalm Beach County in 1990 the wall of the pool (water itself) could not be closer than 8 ft from the side propert line and 10 ft to the rear. The concrete deck itself was allowed no more than 5ft and 7 ft respectfully. Anything different you need to apply for a variance.

WallyBell

Reaction score
Fernandina Beach Florida Nassau County

My shop is 6 ft off the rear and side property lines as per set backs.
Propane tank has to be 10 ft from building per local code.
Behind my fence is an alley - city right of way so no go there.

But no worries.
I will move the generator to the side yard, bury a tank and turn the abandoned slab into a air compressor closet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks