Generator Transfer Switch Weatherproof Housing

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a weatherproof housing for a generac automatic transfer switch?

I know the transfer switch is approved for outdoor installation. However, in my situation I would prefer some type of stand alone weatherproof enclosure.

- I live in a rural area of Northern Michigan in a snow belt. We get tons of very bad weather in the winter with lots of snow.

- My utility meter and disconnect switch are not mounted on my house under an eve. My meter and disconnect are mounted on a pole across the driveway from my house.

- Due to the location of my meter, I also want to install my generator transfer switch next to the meter and old disconnect. This makes the entire arrangement much more exposed to the weather and snow.

I can build something but it would take a bit of work and also I would need to make sure it all meets code. I thought someone would make an outdoor enclosure to house a breaker panel or switch, but I can't seem to find one.

Thanks in advance. GB

Reaction score
Suncast makes a 2'8" wide, 6' tall little storage shed, meant to hold rakes, shovels, and the like. You can get them at the big box stores for $250.

That actually seems like a perfect solution. All resin construction, easy to position, could bolt it to a pole if needed. Being made of resin it would be easy enough to cut holes for conduit and would never rust. The switch is about 32" long by 15" wide, so plenty of extra room all around.

So I think I might buy one of those, cut conduit holes, and mount my transfer switch inside. Any opinions on that idea?

Thanks, GB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks