White waxy buildup inside water filter housing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by minidiscs, Oct 12, 2021.

1. minidiscs

minidiscs New Member

Hello! I was changing the filters for the first time on my Aquasana AQ-5200 2-stage under counter carbon filters when I discovered a rather large amount (nearly a tablespoon) of white waxy, grease like build-up on the inside of each filter stage housing, pushed into the threads, and on the outside of the filter itself. I installed the filter system myself and did not use any sort silicon grease etc.

The substance is almost pure white, resists water, does not dissolve or melt in hot water or vinegar. Bringing a flame to the substance dries it out, chars the edges black and dries it to a soft powdery consistency. It does catch aflame eventually and burns a low blue / yellow typical looking flame.

Our water supply is municipal, city water and it's seemingly very hard with mineral buildup on many of the fixtures. Boiling water always results in minerals precipitating out.

I could not find any info on such an occurrence here or anywhere else online. What could this substance be, and should I be concerned?

Thanks for your time.

minidisc-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2021
    Reach4 likes this.
  2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

It looks like silicone grease to me.

Jeff H Young likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Jeff H Young likes this.
  4. minidiscs

minidiscs New Member

Hmm, I didn't use any silicone grease when I installed. How would it have found it's way into the filter? No other plumbing work has been done in some time in this house.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Before you opened up the filter?

6. minidiscs

minidiscs New Member

My apology, I'll clarify. I opened the filter housing, the filter itself was within and had the substance on it.

7. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

Food grade silicone lube is usually utilized for O-rings. I also lube my filter's threads to provide easier disassembly for the following cartridge replacement.

Since this is the first filter change, the lube will have been installed at the factory. It seems that it should have been installed closer to the O-ring as the ring appears that it may be dry.

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  8. minidiscs

minidiscs New Member

There was no silicone lube preinstalled on the o-ring or the threads when I installed. You are correct in noticing that the substance in question is not on the o-ring in the photo. It seems to have originated from the water supply.

9. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Long shot... any chance that this cartridge is fed from your water heater?

10. minidiscs

minidiscs New Member

No, just double checked. It's a cold line.