White waxy buildup inside water filter housing

Users who are viewing this thread

minidiscs

Reaction score
Hello! I was changing the filters for the first time on my Aquasana AQ-5200 2-stage under counter carbon filters when I discovered a rather large amount (nearly a tablespoon) of white waxy, grease like build-up on the inside of each filter stage housing, pushed into the threads, and on the outside of the filter itself. I installed the filter system myself and did not use any sort silicon grease etc.

The substance is almost pure white, resists water, does not dissolve or melt in hot water or vinegar. Bringing a flame to the substance dries it out, chars the edges black and dries it to a soft powdery consistency. It does catch aflame eventually and burns a low blue / yellow typical looking flame.

Our water supply is municipal, city water and it's seemingly very hard with mineral buildup on many of the fixtures. Boiling water always results in minerals precipitating out.

I could not find any info on such an occurrence here or anywhere else online. What could this substance be, and should I be concerned?

Thanks for your time.

minidisc-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

minidiscs

Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't use any silicone grease when I installed. How would it have found it's way into the filter? No other plumbing work has been done in some time in this house.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Food grade silicone lube is usually utilized for O-rings. I also lube my filter's threads to provide easier disassembly for the following cartridge replacement.

Since this is the first filter change, the lube will have been installed at the factory. It seems that it should have been installed closer to the O-ring as the ring appears that it may be dry.

minidiscs

Reaction score
There was no silicone lube preinstalled on the o-ring or the threads when I installed. You are correct in noticing that the substance in question is not on the o-ring in the photo. It seems to have originated from the water supply.

Reach4

Reaction score
There was no silicone lube preinstalled on the o-ring or the threads when I installed. You are correct in noticing that the substance in question is not on the o-ring in the photo. It seems to have originated from the water supply.
Long shot... any chance that this cartridge is fed from your water heater?

SFsurfer

Reaction score
I just found the exact same thing when changing my filters as well. This is the second time I’ve changed them and the substance was definitely not there either when I first installed or changed them the first time. Did you ever figure out how it got there? I really have no idea either as I am the only one who would change the filters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks