Which type of wax ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

AV8R

Reaction score
I'm replacing the wax ring under my toilet after removing it to have the floor retiled. The hardware store has several options in wax rings, such as #1 and #3. What is the difference? and what are the advantages and disadvanges?

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The number indicates relative thickness of the wax. #1 is the thinnest and is adequate for most installations where the flange is properly situtated on top of the finished floor. Since you have added tile, you may have an issue, depending on the total thickness of tile and underlayment, if any.

The top of the wax placed on the flange must be at least 1/2" above the finished floor. Use this a guide to wax selection. If you added a lot of thickness, you may need to add one or two flange spacers first.

Last edited:

AV8R

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks very much. I replaced the flange, too, so it is even with the top of the tile. Is there any reason to use a reinforced wax ring?

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks