Which plumber is wrong? Pipes on outside wall.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Steven81NJ, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Steven81NJ

Steven81NJ New Member

I hope I can get some feedback here as I am still confused which plumber is right.

We have a regular bi-level house in Northern NJ. Looking to renovate a bathroom and one of the ideas was to move our plumbing (faucets) of the shower on the outside wall. 4 different contractors came by and didn't see an issue until the 5th one swore on his life that if I put plumbing on the outside wall at some point they will freeze.

Who is right?

Thank you.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    It depends on the climate and the insulation behind the plumbing. In the Seattle area, where it never really gets cold for long, pipes in outside walls will freeze. In those cases I suggest keeping cabinet doors open during a cold snap. Of course my kitchen is on an outside wall, so those doors stay open that week. Fixing frozen pipes in walls isn't my best idea of a fun day on the job.

Maybe it freezes and maybe not. Opening walls behind tile is interesting.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

is it a 2x6 wall? is there foam board insulation under the siding outside? If no and all you have is a 2x4 wall don't do it.

5. Steven81NJ

Steven81NJ New Member

Not sure how to explain this. See photo attached

main.jpg

6. MKS

MKS Member

If freezing is a concern adding a plumbing\false wall may be a solution.

7. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    Insulation CANNOT "prevent" freezing. All it can do is delay the process. Unless the faucet is used often enough to remove/replace the "chilled" water, it will eventually freeze.