When to replace a working toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
My house has two toilets that are stamped 1983. They seem sturdy and don’t have many issues with clogging. They are off colored a bit and could use new seats. Is there a time recommendation on toilets or is it more about when they finally break you replace? I ask because I will replace eventually because I am looking to have a cleaner look but it got me thinking about the topic.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Depending on water conditions, often the trapway develops mineral build up, which causes poor flush performance.
And, tank to bowl rubber gaskets sometimes deteriorate and need replacement.
And, where water is not plentiful, modern toilets that use 1.28 g.p.f. help reduce consumption.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A few factors:
- you no longer like the look
- it doesn't work reliably, and isn't economical to repair
- you live where you pay for water and sewer and or there's a shortage, and thus, higher costs

Many of the toilets from that era didn't work all that well. Newer designs, at least many of them, can flush well with less water, so especially where water is scarce or expensive, a newer one has advantages.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks