What type of system is this and can anyone name the parts to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Bob

Reaction score
What type of system is this and can anyone name the parts to it?

Also, why would there be two guages on this system and not 1? As far as the top gauge one day I was looking at it when it was making noise (guess turning on) and it was at like 62 and then around 10 minutes later at 57, but ive seen it as long as 46. As far as bottom one, Ive only looked at it once and it was 52.

Lastly, can anyone tell me why there is a water bib/spigot on 1 of the pipes and what that is all about?

Thanks

20200530-072259.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks like you have a submersible pump in a well somewhere that works with that blue pressure tank. The other stuff looks like an aeration tank and filter. The hose bib is just a drain or test cock.

Jim Bob

Reaction score
Looks like you have a submersible pump in a well somewhere that works with that blue pressure tank. The other stuff looks like an aeration tank and filter. The hose bib is just a drain or test cock.

Thanks, alot.

I cant figure out why there are two of those tanks tho.

I just fixed my old irrigation system and trying to figure out why my irrigation system pressure drops after 30 seconds of use..

When I turn on the sprinklers the top gauge stays at around 50s or close to 60, doesnt do anything, however that bottom gauge drops to below 10 when the sprinklers turn on and when I shut them off, goes back to around 50 or 55. So I thought Id take a look into it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Gauges that are outdoors subject to the elements cannot be trusted. Try new gauges.

The top gauge should roughly follow or read lower than the bottom one. The bottom gauge is the pressure from the pump. If it reads true, then you are drawing water faster than the pump can deliver it.

Jim Bob

Reaction score
Gauges that are outdoors subject to the elements cannot be trusted. Try new gauges.

The top gauge should roughly follow or read lower than the bottom one. The bottom gauge is the pressure from the pump. If it reads true, then you are drawing water faster than the pump can deliver it.

Okay, so i took another look...

Prior to turning either the water spigot on or sprinklers, the top gauge is around 55 and bottom around 55, so about the same.

When I turn water spigot on for few minutes:

Top gauge rose to around 65 and im assuming would of kept rising if I kept it on?

Bottom gauge stayed at around 55.

When I turn on sprinklers for 30 seconds:

Top gauge stays at 55.

Bottom gauge drops to about 10.

If this is the problem, how would I go ahout fixing it?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Top gauge rose to around 65 and im assuming would of kept rising if I kept it on?
On what do you base that assumption?

My guess is that inside that Water Guard to the right, there is a booster pump which would explain the top gauge reading higher than the bottom one. That also matches with the bottom gauge dropping to 10 when the sprinklers are on. Also explains why there is the top gauge.

Since I cannot see inside that Water Guard, I can only guess there is a booster pump inside. I don't know what controls that pump, be it a flow sensor or a pressure switch.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
The big tank is an aerator tank. Look at Water Medic's website.

Maybe instead of asking "internet experts" you should just call the installer of the equipment.

Reach4

Reaction score
img_4.jpg

A "big tank is an aerator tank"
B (edited) Elbow feeding water input of the Water Guard
C I don't know. Check valve, injector, sample port, micronizer???
D Pressure tank #1
F Pressure gauge bottom
G Pressure switch
J Pressure tank #2 connected via M
L Pressure gauge top
N Brine tank for softener
O Media tank for softener
P Valve for softener.
Q Sediment drain for A
T Drain line for softener
U Brine line softener valve to brine tank

Whatever C is, I expect it has a check valve plus something else.

Clearly this system is not in NY.
Since I cannot see inside that Water Guard, I can only guess there is a booster pump inside.
Water Guard?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Water Guard?
WG name appears to be molded into the side of 'A'

Item 'C' appears very similar to a solenoid controlled valve, similar to that used for irrigation zoning control.
The wiring into the side ('R' ?) appears to be connected by a Grey cable to the wall box located directly behind 'L'.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
A little snooping and looks like installer is Water Medic in Cape Coral FL https://watermedicofcapecoral.com/

If this were my system I’d call and request a service call for a tech to come out and check out the system and explain how it works and how to maintain it. Price of a service call should be not much.

Looks like Water Medic has a salt delivery service. Do you use them? If not you may want to subscribe to the service. In central Florida our well company comes by monthly and only charges for bags of salt and gallons of chlorine added. $10/bag of salt and $8/2.5 gal of chlorine. It averages out to only about $20/mo. On the salt delivery visit they reset timers if needed, inspect aerator tank is functioning properly and add chemicals.

When we bought our remote cabin I paid for a service call to educate me on the operation of the system. It was well worth the $75 call charge.

Jim Bob

Reaction score
The big tank is an aerator tank. Look at Water Medic's website.

Maybe instead of asking "internet experts" you should just call the installer of the equipment.

Eh, trying to learn it for myself thats all. If I cant figure it out then I will call.

Jim Bob

Reaction score
View attachment 63190
D Pressure tank #1
F Pressure gauge bottom
G Pressure switch
L Pressure gauge top
P Valve for softener.
Q Sediment drain for A

Water Guard?

Florida and well water

Jim Bob

Reaction score
View attachment 63190
D Pressure tank #1
F Pressure gauge bottom
G Pressure switch
L Pressure gauge top
P Valve for softener.
Q Sediment drain for A

Water Guard?

Btw, thanks for the pic it really helped.

Do you know why there is two pressure tanks tho?

Reach4

Reaction score
Btw, thanks for the pic it really helped.

Not sure, but I could make guess or two. Suppose C includes a check valve, and there is no pump. The second tank could insulate the house from pressure pulses from the irrigation.

If there is another pump, that would call for another pressure switch. Best practices would put the pressure switch near pressure tank #2. We see no wires, plus, you would have commented on the second pressure switch.

Where is the pipe to the irrigation? Is there another pipe to/from the system on the concrete pad that we don't see? In particular, does A have another unshown pipe? Or is there a pipe at Q that goes somewhere?

Bannerman

Reaction score
IF item 'C' is an actual solenoid controlled valve, closing that valve would isolate the well pressure tank 'D' from the faucets and fixtures downstream of 'A'. While pressure tank 'J' would provide some initial water dowstream, the question is, what controls the operation of 'C' causing it to open and allow PT 'J' to refill?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My guess is that inside that Water Guard to the right, there is a booster pump which would explain the top gauge reading higher than the bottom one. That also matches with the bottom gauge dropping to 10 when the sprinklers are on. Also explains why there is the top gauge.
I guessed right. Item C has no wires so cannot be a solenoid. It appears to be a micronizer.
https://actionmfg.com/product/outdoor-aerators/

Outdoor-Aerator-Solo-Squared.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks