What part of a dishwasher freezes first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dripdrip

Reaction score
Hi, we live in an old house and once every winter I forget to turn on a fan under the dishwasher and it freezes.

It's the inlet side that freezes, but I'm wondering if it's more likely to be the pump or the solenoid valve that freezes first? (It's awful tight under there, or I'd try to figure it out myself!)

BTW It always thaws out without any leaks/damage. Sometimes it can take days for an electric heater to thaw it. (And yes, I turn off the heater at night, and when we're out.)

Thanks,

D

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a thermostat switch to control the fan? Some have a probe that you could insert to be behind the dishwasher.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What freeze first is the coldest spot. :) I suspect its the solenoid. Does the motor run without water or an AC him from the motor? What happens?

Do you have copper or galvanized pipe? Is the dishwasher on an outside wall, first floor or second floor? Bottom line you need get warm air flowing in that area or seal up the outside wall or if the pipe freezes between floors you need to install a ceiling grate to allow warm air to rise into the floor joist cavity.

If the dishwasher is on an outside wall and it is probably not insulated in a very old home, pull the dishwasher out and disconnect everything if needed. Cut the dry wall or plaster to get into the stud wall and insulate it. Do not bother to cover the wall, just push the dishwasher back in and reconnect everything. In the mean time, remove the bottom kick plate to open the bottom up to the warm air of the room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks