What material connects pvc p-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Hi, I'm replacing a sink. The old p-trap had a ton of gunk on the inside of it, so I'm replacing that at the same time. However, I don't know what is supposed to be used to seal the connections between the pvc p-trap and the waste line. The old trap had an orange-looking material on it. I'm only familiar with pvc cement, but I know that's not what's used in this case! The next person might just want to disconnect the plumbing himself. :D

Any idea what this "sealer" is called? Thanks!

Jumpyg

Reaction score
hj said:
No, and even if you live in an area that "prohibits' slip joint connections at that point, it would still be the best way to connect it.
HJ, I didn't get what you meant. Isn't there a thread compound of some sort for non-permanent PVC connections? I'm just using a standard PVC kit from Lowe's.

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Terry said:
Most p-traps connect to the waste line with slip joint washers.
These may be clear plastic, rubber, or even brass.
Terry--right, that's like the old installation I took out. However, there was an orange "paste" or something on the threads of the pvc I took out. I'm a novice, so I thought maybe I was supposed to use something similar to pipe dope, which I've used on metal fittings.

By the way, this site is an excellent resource! :)