What is the proper dishwasher elbow for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

enochian

Reaction score
IMG_20210928_131452298_MP.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
From the 70's?
Looks to be 1/2" nominal. Normally we replace with 3/8 compression at the dishwasher and replace the 1/2" compression stop with 3/8"

Or you can see if you can still find a 1/2" compression fitting somewhere.
I pulled an old dishwasher the other day and installed a new 3/8" stop for the dishwasher installers. Often people will pay for an install at the store where they buy the dishwasher, but when they come out, if it's not a currently standard 3/8" compression, they unload the new dishwasher and leave.

eastman-dw-supply.jpg

Last edited:

enochian

Reaction score
From the 70's?
Looks to be 1/2" nominal. Normally we replace with 3/8 compression at the dishwasher and replace the 1/2" compression stop with 3/8"

Or you can see if you can still find a 1/2" compression fitting somewhere.
I pulled and old dishwasher the other day and installed a new 3/8" stop for the dishwasher installers. Often people will pay for an install at the store where they buy the dishwasher, but when they come out, if it's not a currently standard 3/8" compression, they unload the new dishwasher and leave.

How do you replace with 3/8?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the copper on the right of the blue handle valve is 5/8" OD, then you can add a new stop there.
If it's 1/2" OD, it's a bit harder to find the size. I would cut off an inch at the end and head to the hardware store to match it up.