What is going on here? Constant stoppages

Users who are viewing this thread

TheBomb8600

Reaction score
thebomb-4.jpg
thebomb-3.jpg

The components consists of a double sink, garbage disposal and a dishwasher that drains into the garbage disposal. At the joint circled in the second picture the drain keeps on clogging and water/particles are forced through the pipe. The drain pipes are taken apart and the blockage is cleared (as of this writing maybe 6 times since late July). But the clog keeps coming back.

The garbage disposal was installed about spring 2017 but was hardly used. But since about February 2018 we started using the garbage disposal heavily (several times daily). After that is when the clogs started (late July 2018). When I take apart the pipes the material at that joint is not big but is finely chopped as it should be.

I have looked at some pictures of similar installations of a double sink, garbage disposal and dishwasher online. Not one of the installations reviewed is setup like this.

What is wrong with this? Is it the setup? Please advise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
What is wrong with this? Is it the setup?
You have two traps in series. You can fix that.

Your disposal may be worn out, contributing to the blockages, but the trap situation getting fixed may fix it all.
img_2.jpg

This is one way. You can buy a straight discharge tube to replaced your curved discharge tube. You will probably want to rotate the disposal to align the discharge tube to the tee.

There are other ways. You could bring the curved discharge down to the input of the trap, which you rotate to position it. In the path would be a tee that adds in the output of the right hand sink.

Last edited:

TheBomb8600

Reaction score
thebomb-2.jpg
thebomb-1.jpg

So sorry for the much, much delayed response. I had forgotten the message board in which the request was made. I forgot the entire website where I asked for help as I do not post here at all (other than this request) nor use this message board at all. I did fix the problem shortly after the help was posted. Thank you very much for your help. But in looking at the floor where there was a leak it has been discovered the floor has rotted through. I am having the floor replaced. Again thank you for your help and my apologies for the much delayed response.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you put this back, I would cut the black discharge tube and the white tailpiece. That would let you raise the trap up considerably. You want the trap seal to be between 2 and 4 inches, or at least closer to that.

P-trap-diagram1.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw_hot.jpg

You can't modify the p-trap. Find a way to cut the plastic piping to allow for a standard p-trap. You're best off with the center drain to come out of the disposer with a straight section.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks