What is a water softener probe?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by Johnman98, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Johnman98

Johnman98 New Member

I have a GE pro elite water softener which has an autotrol 716 model head unit. The display has been showing error 6 which I found in the manual to say a disconnected or defective probe. I looked at the parts list and so not see a probe listed. Is this a sensor of some kind? Is it in the brine tank? Everything looks connected. Any help appreciated.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

http://www.proelitesystems.com/File...oad/en/1244359-operation-manual-w-rem-mon.pdf refers to an analyzer probe several times. It is item 17 on page 8. Then the manual gets into it more on pages 11 and 12. The sensor appears to be the primary means of determining when the softener needs regeneration. The system appears to have no water usage metering.

Page 22 writes of a setting (P14) that can disable the probes and get rid of error 6. I suspect that if you do that, you need to either trigger regenerations manually, or use the Days Override setting to enforce a maximum period between regenerations.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Johnman98

Johnman98 New Member

I did see this manual but my system looks nothing like this newer system. I am having a hard time finding anything online regarding the system I have.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

A water softener probe that connects to an Autotrol controller is a probe that helps the controller detect the hardness of the water in the bottom of the resin tank to determine if the softener should be regenerated soon.

6. Johnman98

Johnman98 New Member

Thank you for the replies. I unplugged the power adapter, found the access panel on the side of the resin tank and removed that, disconnected the sensors as well as disconnected the connection at the display. Once that was done I plugged everything back in and setup the display. The error 6 is gone for now and I'm hoping it just needed a reboot.

7. isolab328

isolab328 New Member

Did you have to decompress the tank when you removed the sensors? I am having the same issue and hope that resetting like you did will do the trick.

8. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

It sounds as though he did not remove the sensors but only disconnected the sensor connections from the circuit board and then reconnected them.