What do I need to pressurize city water?

Users who are viewing this thread

38ppBBia

Reaction score
Many pumps utilize the liquid for both cooling and lubrication, so if the pump can't get enough volume, it would potentially run dry, and could eat itself up fairly quickly...plus, if it can't get enough water, it can't build pressure.

Most all of the booster pumps are designed where you have a low pressure supply, but it's not restricted for volume.

To gain volume, you need to store it up, then you can pump from that supply, and as long as the storage volume is big enough so it can refill in between uses, everything will be fine except you'll be out money to buy it, install it, maintain it, and the power needed to run it, which shouldn't need to happen.

Pumping water through the condo's pipes to build pressure will also mean the velocity will go up, which will accelerate the pipes rusting out. Higher velocity could also dislodge more rust from the inside, that could plug up aerators and foul up valve washers and or seats or cartridges. To keep the pressure down, the general path is to use larger pipes so the velocity doesn't get excessive. Excessive velocity can not only erode the pipes from the insides, but also create water flow noises, which may be annoying.

I don't envy your situation. Plus, you'd have to read the condo bylaws carefully to ensure you don't induce any liability should the others then complain you made their pipes then spring a leak. Where I live, local ordinances and the bylaws prohibit me from doing any plumbing or electrical work in my condo (but strangely, I can run a gas line!). So, anything you do may need to be done by a licensed plumber and with a permit. The inspector may then ask why you're doing this, and that could open up another whole can of worms!

Well, like I said, I replaced all of my pipes with copper and pex, and I did install a whole house filter specifically for the rust situation (and it does turn orange within 2 months of use). My concern would be what it would do to the pipes and units before it got to my unit. The cistern option is not super viable for me, because I'm already limited on space.

I guess I'll just deal with it until I can cause enough problems for the board to finally take action. So far, everything is on record with the board, including pictures of what the inside of old pipe looked like when I replaced it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
What I'm getting is that I need to measure for volume and pressure to pinpoint the issue better. If I install a booster pump like this (https://www.amazon.com/KOLERFLO-Pre...e+booster+pump+for+home&qid=1617943709&sr=8-3), and the city is not supplying enough volume to to pump, what will happen? Especially since these pipes are in bad shape, I assume this could be bad?

Sorry but one of those little $100 pumps is not going to help. That one only makes about 20 PSI max. You may not need a very large cistern, but that is probably the only way to make it work. A small float valve in the cistern won't use anymore water than a toilet and won't effect anyone else on the system. Then a good $300-$500 booster pump like a Goulds J10S or J15S with a $395 PK1A control kit would give you all the pressure and volume you need to never have to worry about this again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks