What are the threads for cold water and hot water line into water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Swftonyc.com

Reaction score
Hi I have this 50 gallon hot water heater that I need to replace. It's an old natural gas model made by american water heater company. First I closed the cold water valve and drained all the water from the heater. Now I try to remove the cold water and hot water lines that go into the heater at the top, and using a big adjustable wrench they won't even move a bit. Are they regular threads(which meaning counterclockwise to loosen) or reverse threads? Upon closer inspection I noticed there was some dried silicone sealant at the connection. Is that the problem? Or should I use a way bigger wrench?

Reach4

Reaction score
Regular threads.
Or should I use a way bigger wrench?
Maybe, and you could maybe put the water back before cranking.

What is your situation? Often you will want to use a corrugated copper or stainless connector for the last 18 inches. If you have galvanized or copper running right to the WH, maybe you want to use a saw or pipe cutter rather than unscrewing at the WH.

I see you have not even selected what kind of WH to get.

I am not a pro.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Residential units are standard pipe thread. A bigger wrench, or a pipe on the one you have for leverage will get it done. Is is sometimes helpful to have another person to hold the tank in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks