Wet Vent for Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas K

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

If you remember me, I was replacing cast iron piping in split level home. Well, I finally hired a licensed plumber to replumb it all for $1400. Looks like he did an excellent job, using wet venting for two bathroom groups. I am a little curious about the tub drain. He installed a 1.5" bushing into a 2" trap, but there is no sanitary tee and vent pipe at trap. 2" drain pipe continues down about 6' where it joins a 2" wet vent. Drain pipe is above the trap weir. Is wet-venting like this okay?

We had to move in because we sold house we were living in, and my camera is packed up somewhere.

Thanks for any replies!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi Thomas good to hear you moved in! is it dry walled and finished?. with IPC code you should be ok 6 foot from vent

Thomas K

Reaction score
Hi Thomas good to hear you moved in! is it dry walled and finished?. with ipc code you should be ok 6 foot from vent

Drywall is in, but tub area still has to be cement-boarded and tiled. I hired someone for that as well. I will post photos when I can.

Thomas K

Reaction score
Hi Thomas good to hear you moved in! is it dry walled and finished?. with ipc code you should be ok 6 foot from vent

That part's okay then. I did notice that he centered a Double San T between the two sinks of the bathroom vanity instead of using a Double Fixture Tee. Is this something that needs to be corrected?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
double san tee I've never used one and don't see them used in plastic or on anything since I've been plumbing other than old work. whether its legal in your area (or mine for that matter) not sure . but I don't see it done , my guess is a couple lavs probably be ok but my house I'd change it if walls were open

Thomas K

Reaction score
He eliminated use of the 4" stack. Plumbed in one more 1 1/2"" roof vent for total of three 1 1/2" vents. One 1 1/2" roof vent vents dual vanity, bathtub, and one toilet, in that order. Second vents one sink, a shower, and second toilet, in that order. Third vents washing machine alone. All drain pipes are 2" going into 3" main drain line.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That sounds good. I rarely plumb a single stack out the roof but on older homes it was common like how clean and simple it is, newer homes seem to be laid out with little concern for plumbing so whatever works and easy. 3 ,to 6 vents common around here. in our code it would take 2 ,2 inch and 1, 1 1/2 vent but I think its pretty well proven 2 inch really isn't necessary for a w/c .

Thomas K

Reaction score
That sounds good. I rarely plumb a single stack out the roof but on older homes it was common like how clean and simple it is, newer homes seem to be laid out with little concern for plumbing so whatever works and easy. 3 ,to 6 vents common around here. in our code it would take 2 ,2 inch and 1, 1 1/2 vent but I think its pretty well proven 2 inch really isn't necessary for a w/c .

Thanks, Jeff! Only thing I did notice was he cut a 3" pipe through 2 x 10 floor joist about an inch and a half from edge of joist, which I'm sure doesn't meet code, but I know this has to be done at times. Any way to reinforce the joist? It is sistered.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Was it sistered because of the oversized DWV hole (good), or was it already sistered because it has a larger than typical load on it (bad to put a DWV hole through a beam)?

Cheers, Wayne

Thomas K

Reaction score
Was it sistered because of the oversized DWV hole (good), or was it already sistered because it has a larger than typical load on it (bad to put a DWV hole through a beam)?

Cheers, Wayne
I sistered it to have level floor because of pointed joists. He did not cut a hole under the tub or washing machine. This was more in the general walkway of the bathroom.

Last edited:

Thomas K

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the installed fitting for dual vanity sinks. I was wondering if that one is okay or if it should've been the fitting in the second photo. Finally uncovered my camera.

Attachments

• IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 138
  • double fixture fitting.jpg
    double fixture fitting.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 137

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it'll be ok probably never have an issue. Ive never used the double santee . my house the walls were open, Id rework it unless I was really pressed for time. just my opinion I don't like it. wouldn't lose sleep on it though

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
need a nailplate for the hot water line. use of 1-1/2 regular 90 laid on the horizontal. should have used a long sweep. $1400 price. little dude didn't charge you enough. Work needs to be inspected

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
need a nailplate for the hot water line. use of 1-1/2 regular 90 laid on the horizontal. should have used a long sweep. $1400 price. little dude didn't charge you enough. Work needs to be inspected
didn't mention the 1/4 bend for trap arms they use them commonly, legal or not. my code requires a sweep. 1400 price don't know what he did because Thomas K been working a lot repiping the the house. out here prices gotta be double or triple Alabama and some states

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
didn't mention the 1/4 bend for trap arms they use them commonly, legal or not. my code requires a sweep. 1400 price don't know what he did because Thomas K been working a lot repiping the the house. out here prices gotta be double or triple Alabama and some states

If the dude does good work and is reliable, sounds like you found a good dude that isn't too hard on the wallet

Thomas K

Reaction score
I do think holes he drilled (3 1/2 inch in sistered 2 x 10) compromised joist, though. Other than that, plumbing was excellent. Isn't there some way to strengthen these holes? They are in middle of span.

Attachments

• IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 124

Thomas K

Reaction score
Here are more photos of some of the work that was done. In first and second images (1978 and 1979) toilet pipe and wet vent are shown. Pipe with blue tape in image 1979 is a stub out for future shower drain.

Attachments

• IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1980.JPG
    IMG_1980.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 129

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do think holes he drilled (3 1/2 inch in sistered 2 x 10) compromised joist, though. Other than that, plumbing was excellent. Isn't there some way to strengthen these holes? They are in middle of span.
Yes, you can and should reinforce the joists where the holes are either (a) bigger than 1/3 the joist depth) or (b) closer than 2" to the edge of the joist. There are various options, but if your job is being inspected, you might require an engineered solution. In which case a pre-engineered option like that at joistrepair.com would probably be the way to go. Otherwise, you can just do something similar to what you see there.

Cheers, Wayne

Thomas K

Reaction score
Thought I'd show you guys some photos of how the shower/tub tile work's going.

Attachments

• IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2007.JPG
    IMG_2007.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2009.JPG
    IMG_2009.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2011.JPG
    IMG_2011.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2012.JPG
    IMG_2012.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 113
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks