Well pressure system

Users who are viewing this thread

SR Smith

Reaction score
Here is the entire situation and symptoms dont match situation. Any help appreciated
Well and septic in 40 yo house. 1 person household
Replaced well pump in 2007 with 1/2 hp Franklin . Works fine and house water pressure is always good.
Pressure switch and pressure gauge replaced in 2018 and they both work fine: 40/60 square D
15 year old fiberglass wound pressure tank 35 gallon was loosing charge (bad bladder) and I'd recharge to 38 every 6 weeks or so and finally replaced it 3 weeks ago with a 32 gallon waterworks steel tank. I did not modify the system at all.... just unthreaded the pvc pipe from the old tank and replaced it with the new tank.
New tank was pre charged to 38, which I verified before pressurizing. I cycled the system and checked for leaks.
The system didn't work and water would not enter the tank so every time I turned on a tap, the pump would run til it reached 60, (about 45 seconds - too short run time?), shut off, drop to 38 and start again. No water getting to tank so I thought I had bought a bad tank. I returned the tank and bought the same one from a different store and installed it exactly as above. Same issue and water not going into the tank.
I couldn't see what I'd done wrong so I called a local well service. They came out and checked the switch (good and contacts open and closing correctly) and said they system was working correctly.
It isn't and I think I have a leak somewhere before the tank for well pump to run every time I use any water...even flushing toilet or brushing teeth.
I dont see a back flow valve (maybe under ground between pump and the house) but doesnt seem likely that would be a problem just because I changed the tank.
I cant see how to insert any photos as an attachment on this forum but I have them and any help appreciated.

SR Smith

Reaction score
Found how to upload photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 123

Reach4

Reaction score
No water getting to tank so I thought I had bought a bad tank. I returned the tank and bought the same one from a different store and installed it exactly as above. Same issue and water not going into the tank.
By tank, I presume you mean the Waterworks pressure tank.

What makes you think that the water does not go into the pressure tank? It has to be going into the pressure tank because it takes 45 seconds for the pump to shut off.

Is 45 seconds too little? Yes, but not terrible. Your pump probably delivers about 11 gpm. Some people have tanks and pumps for years with on-time under a minute. Not ideal, but not urgent. But the next time you buy a new tank, go to 44 gallons. The input on that will be 1-1/4 instead of 1, however. Adapt.

SR Smith

Reaction score
Thanks. Makes sense some water is going into tank. But, This tank is the same size as the one I replaced and I could feel that tank getting heavier when pump ran - about 95 seconds between cut in and cut out. This one remains very light and I tap with metal bar and it sounds hollow all the way from bottom to top.
Plus, pump starts running as soon as I turn on a tap or flush a toilet and used to draw half a shower or do a sink of dishes before it cut in.
Can I adjust pressure switch beyond 20 lb spread to at least have pump not cycle on and off for just a glass of water?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
After the tank cuts off at 60 psi, turn off the pump and don't use more water. See how many 5 gallon buckets of water you can get out. It should be about 8 gallons (1.6 buckets).

(edited to clarify 8 gallons-- not 8 buckets)

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
After the tank cuts off at 60 psi, turn off the pump and don't use more water. See how many 5 gallon buckets of water you can get out. It should be about 8.
Did I miss something? A 32 gallon tank does not have 40 gallons of drawdown

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks