Well losing pressure - double drop j5 Gould

Users who are viewing this thread

Jpinsarasota

Reaction score
My Well will not get to Pressure. It is for garden use only. I haven’t used it for a couple of years. I assume that I have a leak in the well because I am not finding any leaks above ground or in any of the fittings. I have a J5 double drop Gould Jet pump. I have never opened the well before, and I’m not sure how to achieve this. It looks like the two PVC pipes go down the Well head. Do I need to cut them? I did quite a bit of pressure coming out of the garden taps, but the pump never shuts off. When I turn the pump off, the pressure in the system drops from a high of 28 pounds per pressure to approximately 10 pounds. I do not find any above ground leaks. I also am noticing a hole in the cover. Is that normal?
Take a look at the photos of the pipes going down the well. Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_7501.jpeg
    IMG_7501.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7500.jpeg
    IMG_7500.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 27

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure tank? Is there a pressure switch? No need to cut pipe. Any idea of the depth of the well and injector (jet)?

I think if you dig down both pipes probably go into one casing. If not used in years the foot valve just maybe jamb up and not closing thereby losing pressure Only if you have a pressure tank. If there is one, have you checked it for leaks. Is the tank properly set up with the correct pressure.

1717338121720.jpeg

Last edited:

Jpinsarasota

Reaction score
I do have a pressure tank. Pressure is at 28lbs, 30-50 switch.

1. Do the metal plugs serve a purpose? I’m just not clear how I can pull the foot valve up without cutting the pipe.

2. Is there a nice trick for unplugging a foot valve.

To recap, when I turn the pump off, pressure drops. I assume I have a leak in the well. The pump does not lose prime.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_7550.jpeg
    IMG_7550.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 16

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those plugs are for priming. But they can cause a suction leak. The foot valve will be at the bottom of those two pipes. You will need to cut the pipes and pull them out of the well to find the foot valve.

Jpinsarasota

Reaction score
I’m having trouble pulling the pipes out of the well. I built a tripod, and I’m using a come long. I’m afraid that I will break the PVC pipes. Any recommendations on how to pull the pipes out? With a two drop pipe, should they both be pulled at the same time or individually? Thanks for any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually that extra hole would be an air vent that gets screened to exclude bugs. I understand this is not the main point of your post.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks