Weird plumbing problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Jim Lee, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Jim Lee

Jim Lee New Member

Hi,

This is a weird problem I'm trying to isolate where the problem is. I have low water when I have more than one faucet on. When both faucets is on I also get water hammer. I checked my water pressure and it is showing 100 psi when nothing else is open. I don't have a water hammer arrester I can add one but that still doesn't resolve my water pressure issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jim

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Water hammer is a bang that occurs when a valve shuts off the water quickly.

Regarding your low pressure, that suggests a blockage of some sort. Is the flow better on hot, cold, or the same?

When you have those faucets on, causing a pressure drop, what is the water pressure at the drain valve on the water heater? What is the water pressure on an outside faucet?

Do you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV)?

Do you have a cartridge filter for the house?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Jim Lee

Jim Lee New Member

5. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

Make sure all the valves are fully open. Low flow might be because a valve is partly closed or piping could be undersized etc. Sounds like you got some sort of flow restriction somewhere.

6. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Pull the faucet aerator it's probably stop up. The air chambers that are piped behind your walls are probable full of water. Shut main shut off open all valves let the house drain for a hour or two. 100 lbs pressure is hard on all valves.
    Need a pressure reducing valve.

7. Jim Lee

Jim Lee New Member

I do have a pressure reducing valve. I think they set it to 100 PSI. Should I adjust the setting lower and drain all the water?

Thanks
    Jim