Weil-McLain Ultra 80 series 3-UE Boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

WApple8

Reaction score
Ive read on some of these forums of an ongoing issue with WM boilers and their heat exchangers.
My boiler was installed in Oct of 2010.
All was fine until recently. (last year)
My issue is my boiler is fine in the summer when only used for hot water.
In the winter when the heater is used, and the heater runs, the pressure in the system spikes above 30psi, and blows the relief valve.
I’ve adjusted the Taco 329-3 valve to compensate, and made sure the expansion take pressure is correct, and as of now all seems ok.
I have hard water with a water softening system.
My question is-
(With a history of problems with the WM boilers),
Is there a major problem coming down the road that would cause the heating system pressure to spike, and I should be aware of?
Thank you.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
A pressure spike isn't a boiler problem- it's almost always an expansion tank sizing or insufficient charge issue.

Pressure slowly creeping up over hours/days/weeks isn't a boiler problem nor is is usually an adjustment issue for the auto-fill valve. It's more likely to be seepage at the valve seat in the auto-fill, or a pinhole leak in the heat exchanger inside the water heater. There should be an isolating valve between the potable water and the auto-fill, which can be turned off once the system pressure is properly set. (Many systems don't even have an auto-fill.) If the pressure keeps building up over time the water heater becomes the primary suspect. If that can be isolated with valves and the problem goes away, that's the most likely cause.

WApple8

Reaction score
Thanks Dana,
I spoke to a WM rep who said my heat contractor never properly serviced the boiler in 8 years.
Each year I’ve topped off with Sentinal X100 inhibitor on my own.
My contractor never checked cleaned the internals (heat exchanger, etc)
nor did they ever drain the system on their own. . .

To your reply:
I believe an isolating valve is installed above the expansion tank with a valve to release any air in the system.

One thing I just noticed,
There is water dripping from the black plastic air intake for the furnace.

If you’d like I can post a picture of my valves and the furnace to ensure we are speaking about apples and oranges

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks