Replace Pressure Reducing valve and Backflow Preventer Weil Mclain CGA

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It might be best for you to take a picture from a distance away. Get as many of the components in the picture as you can.

A union connection somewhere will allow you to fill the piping without trapping a lot of air, or you could, as you say open the boiler drain and fill. If it were me I'd want to fill from below let the air come out of the top, then seal a union or purge valve. There are millions of possible orientations and techniques to fill and purge. It's best if have valves to open and close to fill and purge.

Jason1

Reaction score
Thank you all again. Wow! Big Boiler!

Can anyone answer my question regarding setting the cold pressure after replacing the prv and expansion tank. I have a fairly simple system and the answer seems obvious. But I'm just asking to make sure.

The tridicator reads the pressure when the water flows in, so to verify the prv is working correctly - open the boiler drain and run some water through.
If it reads 12 psi you're done. Does that make sense?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That does make sense.
Thank you all again. Wow! Big Boiler!

Can anyone answer my question regarding setting the cold pressure after replacing the prv and expansion tank. I have a fairly simple system and the answer seems obvious. But I'm just asking to make sure.

The tridicator reads the pressure when the water flows in, so to verify the prv is working correctly - open the boiler drain and run some water through.
If it reads 12 psi you're done. Does that make sense?
That does make sense go for it. Just don't trap air or your gauge won't be an accurate representation of your system pressure.

Jason1

Reaction score
Thank you John,

I plan on opening the valve that feeds the heating zones last so that any air that entered the system during the job exits through the air eliminator on top of the expansion tank located before the valve:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Resideo-PV100S-1-Sweat-Supervent-Air-Eliminator

I'm guessing any air that enters the boiler during the job will exit up and out of the eliminator or out of the boiler drain, and when only water is exiting the boiler drain the tridicator reading should be accurate. Is that the correct approach?

Some air will get in, but it will have two paths out - 1. up the pipe feeding the zones and out the eliminator and
2. out of the boiler drain.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Looks like a city school boiler room with cleaver brooks burner.

It is a Clever brooks one of my apartment building accounts and this is another account

Attachments

• Flooded.jpg
    Flooded.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Flooded1.jpg
    Flooded1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Flooded6.jpg
    Flooded6.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 153

Fitter30

Reaction score
At least the water looks clean. Sump pump die? Never understood why sumps never have a alarm and why all old boiler rooms set the boilers in pits other that more headroom just save dollars to lower the floor.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
At least the water looks clean. Sump pump die? Never understood why sumps never have a alarm and why all old boiler rooms set the boilers in pits other that more headroom just save dollars to lower the floor.
Becuse when boilers where all steam they needed the A&/or B dimension/s to flow condensate by gravity.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
\

The IDIOT managing agent took the sales rep saying a "Duplex " pump was too costly and the plumber doesn't need redundancy he is just looking to make an extra $450"

I did suggest not only a high water alarm and a battery back up pump should be
considered

After this flood they allowed me to install all the bells and whistles as they came very close to losing the boiler and possibly half the building as this flood happened on a Sunday around 2 AM 21 DEG F outside caused a frozen pipe to cause the leak and the small sump pump was 1/3 HP

After this they fired the managing agent and went for over $2,000 in upgrades

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks