Wax ring confusion - which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

EGL

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing a new toilet (Kohler Wellworth 4620-0) in our bathroom remodel. I have the new flange installed in the 3" pvc wasteline. I got a Fluidmaster No. 3 wax ring, which it says are for 3" and 4" waste lines. I thought I would test fit it to the flange just to see how things line up. It looks like the black plastic thing doesn't really seat all the way down into the flange opening, which is 2.5" wide. Is it supposed to? It looks like when I would set the toilet on it that it would simply crush the black plastic cone thing down. Is that the intent? Below is a picture showing the wax ring just setting on the flange and you can just barely see the white rim of the flange opening below it. Does this look right? I went and got a Bolwax ring as a backup if that would be a better choice.

Thanks for any help. This is my first time setting a toilet!

Eddie

toilet0001.jpg

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
It's okay but.........

Eventually the black plastic attached to the wax will pull away and cause clogging problems. Get a 3" johnnie wax ring less the plastic and you'll be all set.

EGL

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Canton. When you say a johnnie wax ring, what exactly is that? (Sorry, I'm wax ring dumb.) The Fluidmaster Bol-wax No. 1 that I got looks like it's simply a wax ring with no plastic in it. Right one to use instead of the No. 3?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ring

The wax ring is designed to fit into a 3" flange that goes over the pipe. It looks like you used one that fits into the pipe, which was a bad decision but that is a different discussion. It is probably too large for your flange, so use a standard one that sets on the flange with no "funnel".

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My experience is that if the plumbing for the waste is standard and nothing weird about it and that it is flat on the floor then you should need nothing more than a plain old simple wax ring with absolutely no bells and whistles. HD and Lowe's offer extra thick, those with some foam junk included, those with the funnels, lots of unnecessary stuff. I've had to clean out gobs of wax, funnels, etc. For the most part, the less the better. Too much wax and it squishes out the side when it tightens down. I have had to go back the next day and tighten down again because I thought I had it tight the first time....but... too much wax! It was tight when I left it then it settled down some more when the toilet got used. Among other things I was embarassed because I KNEW that I made a good install but obviously something was not right. I had snugged the toilet bolts down real good and did not want to break the toilet or tear up the flange which was the initial problem... so.. give it a few minutes or a reasonable amount of time then re-check the tightness of the toilet and toilet bolts.