Waterproof enclosure for PEX manifold in attic crawlspace?

Users who are viewing this thread

brian717

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it with a search of the forum.

I have a manabloc in my attic crawlspace fed from 3/4 inch hot and cold lines that run from the basement (the crawlspace is on the 3rd floor). I'm concerned about leaks, so I'd like to build a waterproof enclosure around it with a drain that pops out of the wall on the crawlspace.

Is this a good idea / necessary? If so, do you have any recommendations on building it?

Thanks in advance!

brian717

Reaction score
Mostly because I recently heard a story about someone with the same configuration (3/4 inch main lines feeding a manabloc in the attic using watts-style cinch clamps) who had one of the inlets (can't remember if it was hot or cold) essentially break off and flood their whole house from the top down while they were at work. There might have been freezing involved.

Since I hear it's unlikely to leak, I don't want to spend the time and money to move the manifold to the basement (I also like the convenience), but I'd like to at least safe-guard things in case the worst happens. I've also heard that with manifolds (or maybe pex in general) it only takes minutes for a leak to turn into a popped connection.

Is this paranoia on my part?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it were to break, the water under pressure is unlikely to fall into your pan. A slow weep might, but not a broken pipe. Your best safeguard against freezing, it to blanket over the top of it with insulation. You want to trap the heat that escapes through the ceiling to keep the piping warm.

brian717

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. I can compromise and move the manifold to the bathroom directly below where it currently is. I have it torn down to the studs anyway, so moving the manifold there with an access panel in the adjacent bedroom closet shouldn't be more than a day of work. This wouldn't save me in the event of a leak (might be worse, actually), but the temperature fluctuates a whole lot less in that room, so it would be less likely to fail catastrophically (freeze).

I'm hoping this wouldn't be any worse. Have you ever seen PEX break off / leak in a situation that didn't involve freezing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks