Coliform: present
E. Coli: not present
Chloride 2.4 mg/L
Nitrite <.2
Nitrate <.2
Sulfate 16 mg/L
pH 8.1
Total Hardness 63 mg/L

The lab does not give a coliform "count" - just gives a Present or Not Present.

I had the same result last year, did a bleach treatment, and the next test showed both as Not Present. This year's test now shows coliform "Present".

As I don't know how much coliform was found, I don't know if I need to treat the water for bacteria or not.

Funny thing is, I've talked with about a dozen well owners in the county, and they've never even tested their wells for bacteria.

So - is "Coliform Present; E. Coli Not Present" a signal I need to do something? Or just continue using the water I've used for over twenty years (with a 5 micron sediment filter I change ever three months) without having a health problem. Am I worrying too much about the "Coliform Present" result?

Thanks.
Tom M.

Reach4

Reaction score
Coliform: present
E. Coli: not present
I infer that the coliform result is what is bothering you. Tell us about your well. Does the casing extend well above ground level? Is this a shallow well, or deep? Those questions are related to how likely it is contaminated on a continuing basis.

Sanitizing the well and plumbing is good. That is effective if the well is not contaminated by ongoing external water. This kills coliforms plus SRB and IRB and any other bacteria.

There is a very good chance that the coliform result was due to the sampling method. If you care about the coliform test results, care needs to be taken in sampling. http://www.ugra.org/pdfs/SamplingHandout.pdf is one description
of a method to avoid contaminating the sample.

NutmegCT

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I've got a 200 ft drilled well, never a problem supplying water in the 26 years I've lived here. The only treatment is a whole-house 5 micron sediment filter, which I change every 3 months.

Casing sits about 2 feet above ground level; has a "sani-cap" cover. Now that the coliform "present" has re-appeared, I opened the cover again and saw two or three "sow bugs" (1/4" long) crawling on the inside of the cap.

When I take a sample, I run the kitchen faucet for five minutes, then wipe the inside and outside of the faucet with alcohol, then take the sample.

Bacteria are present all over our world, so that's why I don't know if I should be concerned with the "coliform: present" report. Many coliform are harmless. I'm a frugal Yankee, and have no problem paying for some sort of sanitizing system (UV, chlorine, etc.) if I need it. But the "coliform: present" with no further details has me wondering if a system is actually needed.

Thanks!
Tom M.

Reach4

Reaction score
Casing sits about 2 feet above ground level; has a "sani-cap" cover. Now that the coliform "present" has re-appeared, I opened the cover again and saw two or three "sow bugs" (1/4" long) crawling on the inside of the cap.
Maybe time for a new cap with a bug-proof screen. Or maybe the bugs crawled up the conduit, and packing something around the wires would be good.

When I take a sample, I run the kitchen faucet for five minutes, then wipe the inside and outside of the faucet with alcohol, then take the sample.
That is much better than what the average person does. I just found https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15...than-99-isopropanol-and-what-is-ipa-used-for/ while looking around. I was surprised at their suggestion of 70% vs 91%.

Bacteria are present all over our world, so that's why I don't know if I should be concerned with the "coliform: present" report. Many coliform are harmless. I'm a frugal Yankee, and have no problem paying for some sort of sanitizing system (UV, chlorine, etc.) if I need it. But the "coliform: present" with no further details has me wondering if a system is actually needed.

I've got a 200 ft drilled well, never a problem supplying water in the 26 years I've lived here. The only treatment is a whole-house 5 micron sediment filter, which I change every 3 months.
I presume your filter is polypropylene, and not cellulose. You don't use cellulose on non-chlorinated water.

Continuing contamination is very unlikely with your well. It may be time to sanitize this spring. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up.

As to what coliform is there, it is not hurting you, so I would not treat it as an urgent matter. I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks