Water System Design Questions (Well - Storage - Booster)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ausm7499

Reaction score
New member here and new property owner about to install my water system. I came upon this forum from a google search and seemed to have found a wealth of knowledge so I thought I would post up my questions. Any response is much appreciated.

I have attached an image of the site plan. The blue lines are the water lines. The well is at the end of the water line at the NE corner of the image. The proposed storage tank location is at the SW corner.

So as of right now I have a well drilled (200' deep 10 gpm). I have purchased a 3/4hp pump (Grundfos 10S07-12 3 wire) for the well. I want to put in a 1700 gal storage tank so that I don't have to ever worry about running out of water during periods of high demand. I could install the tank 530' away from the wellhead and achieve 35' of head above my building pad (40' of head from wellhead) but then I would have to run the water back to my building pad which would mean another 350' of pipe to run. I like the idea of having gravity fed water in case I lose power for some reason, but that's only going to net me 15psi before friction losses are accounted for. I am going to need a pump to boost line pressure and am open to suggestions of what to use and where to place it. I want to have good pressure for irrigation a static pressure of 100psi would be nice.

So that is what I have going on what would you do if it was your system?

Looking for advice on pipe size, tank locations, booster type and location.

Planning on using 1 1/4 sch 120 for the drop pipe. Power run to well pump will be about 420' from panel to pump, would you use 10/3 or is 12/3 sufficient?

Attachments

• SITE LAYOUT-Model-1.jpg
    SITE LAYOUT-Model-1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Ausm7499

Reaction score
The well log indicates 10gpm. This will be residential use we will be building a shop to live in and then a house so demands are not going to be to high. Irrigating the yard and landscaping may be my highest demand but having 4 kids means we are constantly using water. I am not sure how many GPM will be my peak use that's why I wanted to have a storage tank so that I don't have to worry so much about running out of water.

Ausm7499

Reaction score
Just be an automated sprinkler system typical of a residential lawn. 5 sprinkler heads per zone.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
OK well 5 sprinklers, assuming 2 GPM each, would be 10 GPM peak demand. Since your well will make 10 GPM, you really don't need a storage tank and extra booster pump. Just use a PK1A on the well pump and you will have constant pressure in the house and be able to run 1 to 5 sprinklers as needed.

But if you just want a storage tank you can use the PK1A on the booster pump and/or on the well pump as well.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

LOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A one pipe.jpg

Ausm7499

Reaction score
Got another question. I was originally going to put the booster pump at my shop which is going to be about 400' from where my storage tank will be but I have a feeling the pipe size I would need to prevent cavitation might not make that feasible. Does anybody have a good idea of how big the pipe from the storage tank to the booster would need to be? The booster pump I am looking at is the Grundfos CM5-5. The installer I talked to quoted me for a VFD controller for this pump but I was wondering if CSV could be a better fit? If it's not feasible to put the booster at the shop I will need to do a ground vault for it to be installed in, any good ideas for that?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes a CSV will work better than a VFD on a CM pump. But a sub in the storage tank would be better than having such a long suction line, and a CSV will work with the sub also.
Cistern storage with sub pump.jpg

Ausm7499

Reaction score
Not sure why I didn't think of the sub in the tank but that sounds like a sound solution. Any recommendations on a Grundfos sub that would provide 20gpm @ 100psi. How close would the CSV need to be to the storage tank?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is going to take a 2HP to do that. The Grundfos model would be a 25S20-11. And the CSV and/or pressure switch and pressure tank can be 1' or 1000' from the pump and cistern, you just cannot tee into the line before the CSV.

Ausm7499

Reaction score
Good call on the sleeve. Any recommendations on a brand of sleeve?

Got another question on what wire to use for the float switch and pressure switch?

Kevink1955

Reaction score
I do not think you can go 400+ feet on # 12 or even #10 wire. Also you have a 200 foot well, what is the static water level and how deep are you going to set the pump?? Any water above the pump is stored water, add that to the 10gpm your well produces and you may not need to store additional water and have a second pump

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks