Water Softener Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

goodfellow

Reaction score
Hi - so happy to have found this site. Thanks for the info y'all share here. I am looking for some recommendations for a water softener and/or treatment based on my KAR labs report attached. I have city water. Any other info you need just let me know.

And thank you in advance for whatever expertise you can share!!

Attachments

• KAR LABS REPORT.pdf
    104.5 KB · Views: 194

Reach4

Reaction score
City water or well water? Chlorinated? I expect well, but chloroform number caused me to ask. You got tests for more stuff than I am used to seeing.

Chloroform A disinfection byproduct frequently found in a chlorinated water. 47 ug/L​
I am not used to seeing that tested for. The level seems low enough.

Corrosivity,Ryznar Index A measure of the water's tendency to corrode metal or form mineral scale. A value greater than 8.0 indicates a tendency to corrode, and a value less than 7.0 indicates a tendency to form scale. A value near 7.5 is neutral. A thin coating of scale inside a metal pipe may help protect it from corrosion. 9.0 S.U.​

Try to use plastic pipes.

Hardness (gpg) 8.0 grains/gallon​
You would benefit from a softener. 1.5 cubic ft of resin in a 54x10 tank is a nice size, and it could serve several people in the house. Salt usage would be low. It would take out hardness, iron, and manganese . Your iron, and manganese numbers are pretty low. It's not urgent. I would also use a big cartridge filter, even on city water. It not only catches solids, it serves to detect solids. A bypass on the filter is good. I don't have that, but I do keep extra o-rings.

I am not a pro. Maybe there is something that I missed, but your water seems very good. A softener would improve it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would go with a cartridge filter and then just softner with 10% crosslinked resin, unless chlorine seemed particularly high.

I am a little surprised at your 0.05 mg/L iron. Maybe that is from the piping. I would use PEX if I replaced or added any piping.

Is your early supply pipe 1 inch (ID/nominal) or 3/4 pipe? Copper, steel, or what?

That installation you cited is a nice one, but it is more than I would do.

goodfellow

Reaction score
Thanks! Early supply pipe looks to be 1" copper. So you're talking about something like a Fleck 2510? (sorry for so many questions, this isn't my sweet spot :) )

intel2020

Reaction score
Hi Goodfellow. That link is to my configuration. You can search for all of my previous posts on the topic and how I got to this configuration. Other factor in sizing to consider is water usage, size of home, # of running facets at same time (flow rate desired). I would recommend you size unit to home size, average family size in case you sell in future (vs. just sizing too small for immediate need) and price is not much more. I added a second tank (Carbon) in front of the softener to remove city chlorine mostly. You can see my high level design specs from my post (size of home, hardness, flow, etc.). I used the the annual city water quality report and talked to them about the water as well -- they were more than happy to discuss. I am very happy with the Fleck 5810 XTR (and STX) -- agree with Reach4 -- good solution.

There are other recent threads on this forum that discuss sizing considerations. I found it helpful to spend time going through a few months worth to assist with my ultimate selection and method of installing my solution.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would recommend you size unit to home size, average family size in case you sell in future (vs. just sizing too small for immediate need)
With 8 grains of hardness, 1.5 cuft is good to about 7 people.

I am very happy with the Fleck 5810 XTR
I think that you would agree that the SXT controller would be good for most people, and you are a special case utilizing the extra data gather ing info of the XTR.

intel2020

Reaction score
Totally agree on comment -- STX is a great valve and meets all requirements. As Reach4 points out, I wanted the XTR2 for additional data that the valve can provide with a connection to a computer via a USB connection and software. Most folks don't need, nor want any of that info. I had some very specific reasons which I highlight in other posts.

goodfellow

Reaction score
Thank you both!

Intel1212 - thanks for the follow up. I wanted to give you credit when I posted it but could not locate where I found it ... I've gone through too many posts (and yet, not enough!)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks