Water Softener Loop - Which Side is Supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

M3Jake

Reaction score
Hello friends. I need some help identifying which side is the supply side in a new-home water softener loop.

We just moved into a new construction house in Casa Grande Arizona and I'm about to install a filter/softener system. Is there a trick to identifying which side is the supply side (from the street)?

I'm about to climb in the attic, but I was hoping someone might know a better/easier way. At first I thought I'd just turn off the water from the street, cut the loop, then crack it open and let it self identify, but there must be some cool plumber's trick out there.

Thanks in advance!

Water Softener Loop.jpg

Tryagain

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
As you face the wall, most softeners have the input on the right. Softener loops, if there is a convention, will have the input on the right. Same as for water heaters.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Water softener loops are rarely universal. The only way to know is to cut the pipe and turn the water on to see what side the water comes from.
Fleck and Clack are inlet right, outlet left, Erie and Autotrol are the opposite, so definitely not universal.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I got careless hooked one up wrong by using common sence like reach 4 mentioned the softener is marked and the piping coming out the wall who knows could have been whatever way was most convieniant to the plumber why waste a bunch of 1 inch 90s pipe and labor roughing in for the unkown? Id follow Dittoheads advice!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hooking up a softener backwards can end badly. Resin pushing through the top diffuser, flooding the house with resin... not fun to fix. Sadly I did this too my own dads house 25 years ago, it took several years before the top diffuser failed... I spent many hours fixing his plumbing. :)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
once for me too not afraid to admit a failure , got in a hurry no damage though

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks