Water Softener Drain Into Hung Mainline

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by RobinHell, Feb 28, 2021.

1. RobinHell

RobinHell New Member

Hello,

I am installing a water softener, and I need to install a drain line.

Problem is, I have nothing in the basement (such as a laundry tub) where I can run the line to an air gap (and then onto a drain).

The photo shows my main line and source water. Can I replace the first vertical 45 with a wye and put a trap/standpipe on the wall? If this is OK, how tall does the standpipe have to be?

The entire system is sealed below the first floor. Right now, backing up into the basement isn't a concern. I had a standpipe arrangement on my home in MD, and never had a flooding situation.
    This house is in NJ, and I have no idea what the code says.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome.

20210228_123632.jpg

2. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

very simple job the only thing that might be an issue would be to properly vent the trap for a standpipe. if your code is like many around the states an AAV or cheater vent might be easiest option. or bringing drain up up to laundry room and dump in wash machine stand pipe or sink, might be option, whatever is legal and easy

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. gsmith22

gsmith22 Active Member