water remains in dishwasher after cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbDumb

Reaction score
I've got a countertop dishwasher. It's an RCA, but it's made in the same place as all the other brands, including Magic Chef, Danby, etc., that have the first generation style design for countertop dishwashers. (the different brands put their own name on these particular identical Chinese machines of unknown origin).

I've got the drain hose going down to the counter and into the sink without any rises, but there is still water remaining in the machine when it is done with the cycle. a couple ounces, under the filter. Is this normal for these machines? how common is it among dishwashers in general?

I can't put my faith in the cleaning of a machine that passes water from cycle to cycle. Even if you go the longest program, you still end up with just more diluted dirt water all over everything.

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
I am not familiar with your particular DW, but it is typical of all built-in models to leave a little water in the bottom. It keeps the seals wet. It pumps out at the beginning of the next wash cycle before filling the DW with fresh water for the next wash.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most problems with dishwashers are solved by cleaning out their drain filters.

Eman85

Reaction score
Not familiar with a portable or countertop. On a standard cabinet style some use a flapper check valve at the discharge and they warp and clog the hose. Also grease and food will clog the hose and prevent emptying.

PlumbDumb

Reaction score
I am not familiar with your particular DW, but it is typical of all built-in models to leave a little water in the bottom. It keeps the seals wet. It pumps out at the beginning of the next wash cycle before filling the DW with fresh water for the next wash.
ah. this is very helpful insight. so, is it a safe inference, then, that when you have a long pots & pans program with many fills and drainings, that it doesn't leave this water in the bottom to carry over between fills, but only on the last draining?

mechanics have told me to run the car at least every two weeks or so to keep the engine seals oiled, but oil is different in how it soaks into certain polymers. but it its also about keeping some lube between the rotating shafts and the seals. Is the water lubricating the seals in the dishwasher?

PlumbDumb

Reaction score
Not familiar with a portable or countertop. On a standard cabinet style some use a flapper check valve at the discharge and they warp and clog the hose. Also grease and food will clog the hose and prevent emptying.
seems to flow pretty strong when it is draining. what causes warping, heat? age?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks