Water Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnfin

Reaction score
If I use a gauge that attaches to the house bib outside my bedroom would it be safe to say that pressure would be the same as the toilet in my bedroom/bath?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
NO

Do you have globe valves, 9
0 degree fittings, piping, is the bathroom higher, does the piping have mineral deposits

If you answered yes then you may have lots of friction loss and you have to calculate the head (.433 x height)

Then times it by 2.31 and calculate the piping and fitting that cause the loss of pressure

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Why not remove the shower head and get a pressure reading there ?

Johnfin

Reaction score
I dont have special fittings, you can get a hose bib pressure tester anywhere. I need to check the pressure at the toilet plumbing stop, hence copper line and the valve.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
So your saying the height of the bathroom above a hose bib has no bearing ?

So copper or non ferrous piping? is the same as galvanized piping

A Globe valve does not have more friction losses then a full port ball or gate valve?

SIGHT UNSEEN You say it doesn't matter

If they took a reading by the hose bib and then by the shower there would be a difference?

BE GLAD YOU ARE RETIRED

Reach4

Reaction score
The hose bib pressure would set an upper limit on the pressure that the toilet fill valve sees. So depending on your purpose, it may or may not do what you need.

Johnfin

Reaction score
I need to determine if I have adequate pressure for a powerflush valve. The hose bibb and toilet stop are darn near the same elevation and are 10 feet apart. Are we splitting hairs here, like 21 vs 23 psi?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A decent plumber would ask "How far is the hose bib from the bathroom, is it higher then the hose bib or is it a ranch and how far away from the bib"

Taking a reading by the fixture leaves no doubt of the available pressure ESPECIALLY if someone turns on another faucet /fixture to check for a pressure drop

A one family 3 story home for example with a shower on the top floor would have a slight pressure drop when taking a shower and someone on a lower floor flushes a toilet there
would also be a drop in volume

Shame some older plumbing exams never had questions regarding
theory and this is why there are so many lawsuits and shoddy work performed when the unknowing and not to skilled would say

"never mind all the stuff he is throwing at you"

As they get confused with facts they never learned or bothered to take into account the theory involved

A decent plumber knows 50% is OJT with codes and 50% theory as to realize there are charts to look at to consider before spewing "NEVER MIND" as one size fits all

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
2 PSI could make a big difference when installing a flushometer as strange as it sounds as it will not work if the min pressure is not maintained

Reach4

Reaction score
When there is no flow, the pressures will be the same except for that effect of gravity. Even a pretty clogged cartridge won't show a pressure drop with no flow.

So what pressure will a pressure assist toilet see as it charges up its tank? During fill at maybe 1 or 2 gpm, the pressure will be less than when the flow cuts off. How much less will depend on the stuff in between. I would think that for a pressure toilet, that it would keep accepting water as the pressure recovers, but I don't know.

If you really are seeing pressures at your hose bib of 29 psi or less, then further checking seems worthwhile. If its 30 or more, then you are probably good without further checking.

I think Flushmate makes the guts. https://www.flushmate.com/products/flushmate-systems

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I need to determine if I have adequate pressure for a powerflush valve. The hose bibb and toilet stop are darn near the same elevation and are 10 feet apart. Are we splitting hairs here, like 21 vs 23 psi?

NYC had a great toilet change out and my company replaced thousands of toilets.

I would strongly suggest you keep far away from flushmate or other power flush toilets

Johnfin

Reaction score
What is a clogged cartridge and how does it get clogged. 1.6gal flushmates will operate at 20psi the site says

Johnfin

Reaction score
Thats a little extreme dont you think? What kind of pressure did he put in that thing? Cant say I ever have seen an article about that until now but the company is in full force and being sold everywhere.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Yes it is EXTREME go for it and see if your lucky and if the articles and the time I spent court was fake news

Go ahead take a chance you possibly have nothing to lose as this only happens to other people.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I check at hose bib. Never done a pressure drop test could be handy but dont know what numbers Id want

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So what happened here? Doing a water pressure test on the hose bib verses on a shower? higher elevation would be lower pressure yes. John finn you got problem solved?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks