Water pressure in shower suddenly dropped

Users who are viewing this thread

mike ess

Reaction score
I had great pressure previously, often didn't turn it on full because it was too strong. Then one day the pressure seems to be half of what it used to be. Temperature doesn't seem to have changed, just the pressure. Any advice appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe the whole house filter cartridge needs changing. Or are you saying that the flow from the tub spout is still high.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Could be a clog in the mixing valve cartridge or a check valve in the assembly. It could be related to a drop in the temperature on the hot water side. There's not really enough info here to pinpoint the problem.

mike ess

Reaction score
Maybe the whole house filter cartridge needs changing. Or are you saying that the flow from the tub spout is still high.
Thanks for the reply. It's just a shower, no tub. The other faucets in the very small cottage are running normally (and I know of no filters in the line anywhere)

mike ess

Reaction score
Could be a clog in the mixing valve cartridge or a check valve in the assembly. It could be related to a drop in the temperature on the hot water side. There's not really enough info here to pinpoint the problem.
Thank you for replying. I can't say I notice a drop in temp but it is possible; the hot water heater is only a five years old. I'm new to plumbing but will research how to access the mixing valve cartridge and start there!

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I can't say I notice a drop in temp but it is possible; the hot water heater is only a five years old. I'm new to plumbing but will research how to access the mixing valve cartridge and start there!

If the hot water isn't arrive hot enough, some mixing valves will lower the pressure by mixing in less cold water to maintain the temperature. Is the sink able to produce water that's pretty hot(at least 120 degrees F) at reasonable pressure? Do you have separate hot and cold faucets or one faucet on the shower?

mike ess

Reaction score
If the hot water isn't arrive hot enough, some mixing valves will lower the pressure by mixing in less cold water to maintain the temperature. Is the sink able to produce water that's pretty hot(at least 120 degrees F) at reasonable pressure? Do you have separate hot and cold faucets or one faucet on the shower?
The hot water temp seems fine, both in the shower and the rest of the house, but when I return there I'll take the temp of the water (the sink has separate hot and cold but there's only one faucet in the shower). thank you for the suggestion.

StephenB

Reaction score
Have you simply taken the shower head off to see if the flow restrictor is clogged? Sometimes its as easy as rinsing off sediment and other times it could be calcium and buildup over time but it could be a simple fix.

mike ess

Reaction score
Have you simply taken the shower head off to see if the flow restrictor is clogged? Sometimes its as easy as rinsing off sediment and other times it could be calcium and buildup over time but it could be a simple fix.
That's a very good suggestion and simple to try; it was such an immediate change in pressure that I assumed it was something more complicated than a clogged screen. It's a weekend cottage so I haven't been able to try any of these suggestions yet but am eager to get at it this weekend. I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks