water level in toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

limewater02

New Member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
cimarron_inside_tank.jpg


The water level in our toilet
has been low. So every time we use the toilet, we have to clean it manually.

The fact is that, we installed
a new toilet recently (Kohler $200 one)
and we upgraded our plumbing to copper pipes. That hasnt solved the problem.

any causes for this?

-thanks in advance
-lw02
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Messages
2,041
Reaction score
6
Points
0
The water level in the bowl is a function of the size and shape of the trap (inside the toilet bowl).

The water level in the tank can be raised or lowered by adjusting the fill valve.

How well a toilet flushes is a function of many variables.
 

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Messages
32,770
Reaction score
1,191
Points
113
Location
New England
Most toilets have the overflow with water directed to it during refill. If for some reason (and yours uses this method to fill the bowl) the hose is not directed at the overflow, or is not flowing water, the bowl may not have as much water in it as is possible by the end of the cycle.

One way to tell, is to slowly pour water into the bowl. If it goes higher than your normal level and stays there, then there is something wrong; if it remains at the current level, that's all you can do - that is the design height.
 

Casualfc

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Points
1
Location
New Jersey
similar problem, low level in bowl

new house, 2 brand new toilets, exactly the same. I believe they're Kohler. Both have fairly low water levels in the bowl. One is noticeably lower than the other. It has to be cleaned manually with nearly every use. Can someone recommend a quick way to adjust the level, if it's possible?
Thanks.
 

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Messages
8,101
Reaction score
84
Points
48
Location
Yakima, WA
Your questions have already been addressed. 1) this toilet does not have a good bowl wash to begin with, so there may be nothing you can do. 2) If the fill tube is not positioned correctly, you might improve the water level. 3) Water level is set be the built in trap, and there is nothing you can do about that. Installing copper pipes, while a good thing to do, would not affect the water level in any way. If the fill tube is properly set, you may have to get a better toilet to cure the problem. See Terry's report that is linked from the home page.
 

Geniescience

Homeowner
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Location
humid summers hot, humid winters cold
Best possible setup is what you have.

casualfc said:
new house, 2 brand new toilets, exactly the same. I believe they're "brand name removed". Both have.... One is noticeably lower than the other. ....
World's best situation to start with, is to have two identical things, one working well, one not as well, so you can compare and contrast every few seconds. I encourage you to focus on doing this, getting into it with as much excitement as you can feel for toilets.

It may be a Cimarron, it may be another model. You will find out soon too, when you look. If you see numbers printed on the toilet, post them here.

david
 

Riker1384

New Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Virginia
If it's the Kohler Cimarron, I put one in and the water level is not as advertised! It starts out at that size right after you flush it but then it settles to a lower level. Bastards! We had an old-fashioned toilet before. They told me that it was "within tolerance" and basically convinced me I didn't want to install another one.
 

Scott

Flushmate
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Detroit, MI
Website
www.flushmate.com
Bowl design and dimensions vary from model to model but this image may help some folks understand that the "dog leg" bend in the trap determines the water level.

bowl-section.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jakehale

New Member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Water Level Low in bowl

jadnashua said:
Most toilets have the overflow with water directed to it during refill. If for some reason (and yours uses this method to fill the bowl) the hose is not directed at the overflow, or is not flowing water, the bowl may not have as much water in it as is possible by the end of the cycle.

One way to tell, is to slowly pour water into the bowl. If it goes higher than your normal level and stays there, then there is something wrong; if it remains at the current level, that's all you can do - that is the design height.

I have read this thread and this post is the only one that i think could be my problem. I have the american standard Champion toilet. 4 years ago when i put it in the water level was good, so waste would hit the water not the bowl. Recently the base cracked on me so i replaced it, now the water level is low the waste hits the bowl not the water. I dont know what is differnt. the tank fills up nicely and the fill valve has been replaced and to check things out i have it maxed out, so the tank just about fill to the top of the flush tube (this toilet has the plunger type flush valve) i get a great flush but the bowl doesnt fill to a good level. I did the "pour water slowly into the bowl" test. the level went to what i remember, but when i flush it, again, the water level is low.
Any Ideal?
thanks folks
Jake
 
Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Messages
2,041
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Is the fill tube connected to the overflow? Also, what happens if you manually hold up the flush valve plunger until the entire tank drains? If the water level is higher, then you may want to change to a flapper-type flush valve with adjustable flapper.
 

Ec5

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Tip for Low water toilets.

I have a brand new Caroma 305 and was surprised that it has such a low water level in the bowl. I never imagined that any toilet could be made like that.

Anyway, I found that if I line the bottom of the bowl (covering the sides and hole) with about 9 squares of T.P.(in 3 vertical rows of 3 squares each), I don't have to clean anything. It's spotless (for now, anyway).

Try that with the Kohler, see if it helps reduce mess.
 

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
22
Points
38
Location
Omaha, NE
Jakehale said:
I have read this thread and this post is the only one that i think could be my problem. I have the american standard Champion toilet. 4 years ago when i put it in the water level was good, so waste would hit the water not the bowl. Recently the base cracked on me so i replaced it, now the water level is low the waste hits the bowl not the water. I dont know what is differnt. the tank fills up nicely and the fill valve has been replaced and to check things out i have it maxed out, so the tank just about fill to the top of the flush tube (this toilet has the plunger type flush valve) i get a great flush but the bowl doesnt fill to a good level. I did the "pour water slowly into the bowl" test. the level went to what i remember, but when i flush it, again, the water level is low.
Any Ideal?
thanks folks
Jake

Did you check to see that the bowl refill tube is actually directing water into the overflow tube? Not kinked, etc.?
 

Jakehale

New Member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Points
0
SteveW said:
Did you check to see that the bowl refill tube is actually directing water into the overflow tube? Not kinked, etc.?

:rolleyes: Talk about feeling stupid. Jeez!. that was the problem. the tube was filling the tank but not the actual "tube" so to speak, so basically the water in the bowl was gravity.... i directed the fill tube down into the neck and low and behold the bowl "magically" filled up.
Sometimes I tell you it is the most simplist stuff that just make's you feel like a goon..

thanks folks
Jake
 

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
22
Points
38
Location
Omaha, NE
Glad it worked out!

We've all been there/done that at one time (or in my case keep doing those things...)
 

folboteur

New Member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Post 14 nailed the answer.

Somehow, the fill hose had become disconnected from the overflow tube, so that the water was being sent directly to the tank of my Toto.

I bent the clip to grip better, reattached, and we're back in business with one great toilet.
 
Top
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks