Water heater relief valve dripping

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael24

Reaction score
I have a brand new water heater and occasionally it drips from the pressure valve. I have the temp set on 120 and it won’t go any lower.

Reach4

Reaction score
Typically this means that you don't have a working thermal expansion tank, and you need one.

You can look at your water pressure with a pressure gauge, and you probably will see that it currently rises to 150 psi after a hot shower, and you stop using water.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) on your main line?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Have you checked your water pressure? You can pick up a gauge like this in the irrigation department at a hardware store and thread it to the drain at the bottom of the water heater. The T&P valve is set to release at 150 PSI.
The max pressure a home is supposed to have is 80 PSI. If you're within pressure, then it may be something wrong with the T&P valve.

pressure-gauge-hosebib.jpg

tp_2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks