Water hammer - without changing anything, intermittently

Users who are viewing this thread

Jono2

Reaction score
Recently, a few minutes into taking a shower, I'll hear pretty violent water hammer. It does NOT occur response to changing the valve in any way - not touching anything. It doesn't happen right away and also goes away after about 20 seconds, without changing anything. I'm trying to figure out what causes this.

Possible clues: Hasn't happened in the prior 3 years of use. No other use of water in the house at the time this occurs. I have also noticed that frequently there will be water coming out of the shower head when not in use. The shower is on the second floor and heater is in the basement.

Question:
Because the incoming pipes are pretty inaccessible I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the cartridge first before tearing out walls and putting in arresters?
Thanks!

Jono2

Reaction score
To prep for replacing the pressure-balancing cartridge, pulled it out, but not a brand name in sight. Does anyone recognize it>

imgonline-com-ua-resize-XiTXL07a6QecrmYr.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-resize-znLgIAhSg1BT2LB.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-resize-K4xazoNhTEh4.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a picture of the handle? I'm sure someone here will know.
The hammer could be in the balancer portion of the cartridge.

Jono2

Reaction score
Thank you! I haven't seen the knurled post coming out of this cartridge before. Google lens isn't coming up with a match for the face plate either.

imgonline-com-ua-resize-ampfQTP4WynZq.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes Id say a cartridge change would be smarter than tearing open walls.
How much pressure is there? is there a pressure reducing valve ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks