Recent water hammer in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Lbjgh

Reaction score
In the last two years water hammer has gotten really bad in my main bathroom tub/shower. This occurs when the diverter at the tub is activated to turn on the shower. There is a loud BANG everytime.

I assume the straps on the copper pipes have worked themselves loose. The house is almost 30 years old and all of the walls around the bathroom are finished even below. There is no access to the pipes without a messy renovation

I was considering getting some low expanding foam used for window installations and spraying that into the wall cavity from the shower fixture side to help secure the pipes.

Do you guys think that would help?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure it might work if strapps would fix it expanding foam likely would. Ill tell you what though Im never lucky enough to just put a strap on and problem disappears. but if thats the sole cause yes.
How high is the pressure?

Lbjgh

Reaction score
Sure it might work if strapps would fix it expanding foam likely would. Ill tell you what though Im never lucky enough to just put a strap on and problem disappears. but if thats the sole cause yes.
How high is the pressure?
We have lower pressure here... likely 50-60psi

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks