Water hammer with stop valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Our toilet has water hammer issues.
I wanted to connect a water hammer arrestor near the toilet.
Our current stop valve/ angle stop is 1/2 compression and the toilet is a 7/8 connection. So typical connections.

I found a water hammer arrestor with a 7/8th connection but too many folks complain about it leaking.
link to arrestor for toilet

I was wondering what parts I would need if I wanted to try to connect a water hammer arrestor to the angle stop valve.
For example maybe I can install some type of female T compression fitting on the stop valve, with a threaded arrestor coming out of the top? Link to threaded 1/2 arrestor

If any of this makes sense any help or suggestion is appreciated to configure a solution.
I am just not sure about the fitting needed

My guess is maybe a 1/2" female compression T, with a FIP 1/2 on the top (for the arrestor) and then a 1/2" male compression fitting coming out the other end, for the supply line. Not sure they make that so reaching out for some help.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Everyone's interpretation of water hammer is different.

Is it one thump when the water shuts off or does it continue to resonate throughout the pipes?
It something new or always had it?
If a sink faucet is shut off rapidly is there a water hammer?
If the sink faucet is running, does the hammer still occur?
Do you know what type of

If it is just one good thump as the valve inside the tank shuts off, usually by closing off the stop valve to slow the water flow down will sometimes eliminate it or at least it will reduce it.

Reaction score
Everyone's interpretation of water hammer is different. I was not aware of so many interpretations, can you explain your interpretation, as I am only aware of one interpretation of water hammer

Is it one thump when the water shuts off or does it continue to resonate throughout the pipes? One thump
It something new or always had it? New
If a sink faucet is shut off rapidly is there a water hammer? I have installed hammer arrestors on the facets and sink that have water hammer, so now they no longer have the symptoms of water hammer.
If the sink faucet is running, does the hammer still occur? Yes
Do you know what type of....? Pipes I have? size? copper 1/2" 63PSI ..not sure what you were going to ask here but I tried to read your mind.

If it is just one good thump as the valve inside the tank shuts off, usually by closing off the stop valve to slow the water flow down will sometimes eliminate it or at least it will reduce it. I am partial to partially closed valves and this thread was asking for help on making a fitting. If you feel you have some insights as to what my interpretation of what water hammer is I am all ears. Thanks for you help.

If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestion as to how to build a fitting as indicated above in the initial post based on the link I would appreciate your help in piecing together a fitting that will fit on the valve stop.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those were all legit questions to help narrow down the cause. It sounds like its a water hammer caused by the momentum of the water slamming the pipe when the valve is shut suddenly/quickly.

I've never used that toilet connection hammer arrestor and can't attest to whether peoples compaints are legitimate or just caused from improper installation. But Sioux Chief makes one that would go inbetween a pipe and the compression angle stop that relies on compression seals rather than washers.

https://www.ferguson.com/product/si...qVSlC5ZeJ6ocq9sGU8RoCmaEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reach4

Reaction score
I was not aware of so many interpretations, can you explain your interpretation, as I am only aware of one interpretation of water hammer
People call all kinds of things water hammer, which aren't. You seem to be irritated that somebody might suspect that you would be somebody who would use the wrong term.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Bob from Accounting; Sorry if I offended you but you should try first why the water hammer just started. It means something changed and I was trying just to get more information. There are usually three things that will cause it, the municipal water company increased pressure or for other reasons the line pressure went up. In Florida there are very few water towers and pumps are used so the pressure does change occasional, Another is if you have pressure reducing valve may have went bad and is no longer functioning. There are a lot of posts in the past years where the PRV had failed. Lastly, if there is an expansion tank before the water heater it may be saturated or the bladder burst and it is no longer functions. It does help water hammer issues.

Water hammer arrestors do work but first try to look into other causes. Usually at the washing machine and dishwasher an arrestor is highly recommended and are installed in most new homes. Both devices use a solenoid to close the water and some just slam shut causing the issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks