Water analysis in Massachusetts

Users who are viewing this thread

isabelle

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for adding me to the forum. I have been trying to figure out our tap water situation (Lexington MA). A few weeks ago, we had to replace a water recirculating pump that was only a few years old, but that had seized up apparently due to a white deposit inside.

I've had 2 local water analysis companies test our water, yielding different results. The first gentleman found high ph (9-9.5), hard water at 4-5ppm, and high chlorine ("levels like would be in a swimming pool"; the solution from Hach turned a deep pink color if I remember correctly). He then called the town for more information and learned that they use chloramines for disinfection. When he called me back, he told me he did not know of a truly effective way to reduce chloramines, and that the carbon backwash system he initially recommended would not work. Also, that the presence of chloramine would 'clog' the carbon filter and also make it difficult to reduce the hardness. [Since then I've read a lot of threads on this forum that essentially seem to confirm this, but that also identify 'catalytic carbon' as a solution.]

So I then invited another company, assuming they would find the same results and hoping they would know about chloramine solutions. However, their results were hard water at only 1ppm and slight chlorine elevation with the same Hach test (slightly pink which he said would be about .2-.4 chlorine). This gentleman thought the level of hardness may not justify a water softener. For the chloramine, he would recommend a coconut carbon (not sure what that means).

So, I am really confused and not sure what to do next. I have ordered the Hach chlorine test tube kits to run a few test-retests myself. I would also love to know if anyone on this forum could recommend someone in my area who is known to be good.

Thank you in advance.

Isabelle

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Chlorine and chloramine levels will vary considerably during the day. This is normal.

A properly sized catalytic carbon system would be recommended for chloramine reduction. A BB type of filter will be basically ineffective except for the first few weeks... maybe.

Recirc pumps fail, they are simple cheap items that need to be replaced depending on how often they run and the water quality. They should only take 20 minutes to replace if they were installed in an easily accessible area.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since your water is from a municipal source (town, city. water company), they will have performed comprehensive testing and will have the results available, often online. Contact the water department if you can't locate the water quality report on your city's website.

Best to test the hardness and chlorine level at your specific location as those levels will vary throughout the distribution system.

isabelle

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you both for your replies. Here is the first recommendation I have obtained for a system:

SS10-54-RevV4: Elements 1.5 cu. ft. Water Softener System to remove Manganese, Iron, Hardness.

Elements 1.5 cube POE Activated Carbon Down-Flow
Chlorine/Chloramine Water Removal Filter
** Parts & Labor Warranties: 1 Year Labor Warranty, 10 Years
Mineral Tank

Does the above sound like it would work.

Otherwise, I have found a contact in California who said he could quote me a system:
http://pureelementswater.net/wholehousewaterfilter/newport-coast-water-filter-chloramines-removal/

Thanks again,

Isabelle

Reach4

Reaction score
A free water test can be the most expensive kind.

Why would you be looking for a system to remove iron and manganese?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Isabelle:

You indicate the quotation specifies an 'activated carbon' point of entry filter. As you previously specified your town utilizes chloramines for disinfection, then 'catalytic carbon' is the filter media you will want. Activated carbon is not as effective in chloramine reduction as chloramines are much more difficult to remove compared to chlorine alone.

Where you able to obtain the water quality test results from the town?

A true water softener will utilize salt to regenerate the softener media. Salt free units are conditioners which typically do not reduce hardness.

The carbon chloramine removal media should not be mixed together with softener resin in one tank. Each media are not compatible in weight and each have specific backwash requirements thereby requiring separate tanks and usually separate control valves.

Last edited:

isabelle

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, I have the report from the town, attached.
Chlorine total is 2.83 in the town report (at home I've gotten test results between 1.6 and 2.6)
Free chlorine is .84
Home hardness tests give me about 2ppm.

I don't know why the first quote mentioned removing manganese and iron. I think I need to find a more qualified vendor, but have not identified one yet in my area, which is why I am reading this forum. I am very open to suggestions on where to get other quotes.

Thank you again

Isabelle

Attachments

• MWRA_August_WaterQuality.pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 591

isabelle

Reaction score
Hello,

I now have a quote from Culligan for the chloramine removal:

CULLIGAN HE 1.25 SERIES ACTIVATED CARBON FILTER
including: 14”x 65” quad-hull filter tank, HE 1.25”
series control valve with GBE Electronics, flow meter,
bypass valve and 3.0 cubic feet of Centaur Catalytic
Carbon for chlorine and chloramine removal.

$2,989 + sales tax

Is this a reasonable quote? or high?

He thought the 1-2ppm of hardness did not warrant water softener necessarily.

Thank you!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I wish you had a company that was a bit more professional near you. Are intending on installing it yourself? Chloramine reduction is far more difficult than most people realize. A standard GAC system will do a fair job or reducing it. For truly high reduction, many of our customers have been using a finer mesh Catalytic GAC. A larger diameter tank is recommended as the flow rates through the finer mesh carbon can cause some flow restrictions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks