Recommended water tests

Users who are viewing this thread

dangros

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a softener/treatment for my slightly hard water that smells very chlorinated (or as I call it "chloramine-ated") but I have some questions given the different routes I can go.
First, I would need to test my water to see what is most appropriate. What tests kits should I get or have done?
Second, if I go with the carbon first stage to remove the chloramines, would that strip good things like minerals and fluoride that I may want to compensate for in some way or is that relevant?
Thirdly, would it just be better to do nothing and replace a few faucets every 5-10 years? My house was built in '86 and in the 10 years we've lived here, I've replaced a few and a couple more need it now... plus I've fixed 3-4 pin hole leaks over the 10 years so that is a bit troubling and it seems one benefit of the "salt free softeners" is it would reduce calcification in existing plumbing.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Definitely get the water PH tested. Pines holes in copper pipe, fittings or just the faucets? Is this city water or well?

I'm no expert by any means but a few things to know. Carbon removes just about everything but depending on how fast the water flows and the size of the filter determines how much is removed. Another is "salt free softeners" are not water softeners, they are water conditioners.

The first company to promote this was Pelican here in Florida and they called it salt free softeners. Many reviews complained that it did make the water soft. When you read through the fine print, the filter did something with the minerals so it would not stick to surfaces after a simple wipe down. No spots were left. In 2019 when Pentair bought Pelican, they called it water conditioners and now they are under the "water softener alternative" but none are avaialble and cannot find any listing under their web site.

Reach4

Reaction score
"water softener alternative" -- I do not believe in TAC (template assisted crystallization). I think it is still true that there is no test to see a difference in water before and after treatment. But there is some study that seems to find this not a hoax. My mind could be changed.

I think MAG has to be a hoax. http://www.mntap.umn.edu/wp-content.../Chloride-Water-Conditioning-Alternatives.pdf

I do not expect carbon to remove minerals, but I think it probably removes at least some fluoride.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks